+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Hello from another newbie....(listens for the groans, lol)

Cottonmouth, Welcome to FAOL. Hope to see you around the campfire here. Jimsnarocks
    I'm either going to, coming from or thinking about fishing. Jim

Leaders gone in todays mail, should be there Friday or Saturday. I hope my reply helps with "What is a Furled Leader?"

Mike;
    Thanks for the plug on the event this weekend. FAOL will be well represented.

Smile

Welcome!

There are not any rules try what you like that is what we call experience.

In my warm water fly fishing here in OK I generally fish weighted flies on 6wt to 8wt rods. I use a 3 section hand tied leader out of cheap spooled mono,60%(of the desired total length) is the butt section, 20% middle and 20% is the tippet. In this heavy leader case it steps down in lb test from 30 to 20 to 12. Each step down in leader strength(lb-test) should be in the range of 50% to 67%

A warm water leader for a 4wt or 5 wt rod might step down from 20(lb test) to 12 to 6 .

With weighted flies you can get by with just a straight section of mono as a leader,but I feel you have better control to hit tight spots with a tapered leader.

Air resistant bugs will cast better on a tapered leader,and may be near impossible with straight spider wire because it is so soft.

Good luck

Thumbs up

thanks for all the info, and for the warm welcome!

going out to find a rod now, hope to get it wet in the morning!

I'll let you know what happens!

Cottonmouth
    "Always tell her she is beautiful, especially if she is not."

Lazarus Long

If the Spider Wire you are talking about is a true braid, you have to be very careful with any knots to mono. It will cut through it like a knife through butter. Same with your finger if it gets wrapped around it and then pulled. Be very careful with the small diameter Spider Wire.

George

Thanks George, don't think I'll be messing with the Spiderwire in light of all I've heard.

I did get a rod (7', 5/6 wt.) and a pfluger reel. Getting it lined and ready, and picking up some other stuff. Raining today, so not going to try to fish.....
    "Always tell her she is beautiful, especially if she is not."

Lazarus Long

Welcome aboard Cottonmouth! You will love Jack's furled leaders, I have got a couple and they are great.

hNt
    "If we lie to the government, it's called a felony, when they lie to us, it's called politics." Bill Murray

I make my own mono leaders and have played with floro tippets but have had trouble with knots. Getting the floro to the mono and then a knot that doesn't slip on the fly. Any suggestions?

Smile

I use a 2 turn Seaguar Knot with excellent results http://www.netknots.com/html/seaguar_knot.html

It is blinding fast and strong. I make a bigger loop, hold the loop with my left hand, twist the loop with my right hand index finger. Then I slip my right hands index ,middle and thumb through the loop and catch the the tag end and leader and pull them through loop
    it is a 1 & 1/2 second knot.

OKFLYFISHER

Thanks for the info. I'm all thumbs when it comes to knots but the Seaguar doesn't seem too difficult. Your help is appreciated.

+ Reply to Thread