+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Gearing up

Default Gearing up

I'm ready to do some striper casting, here in NH. Well, not until May or so! I have an 8 wt Philippson, old, should I look newer? 8 or 9 weight? Sinking or floating? Any tips/ideas welcome!
    Thanks,
    Mike

Blog Entries

MELK welcome to FAOL, if you have not done so please read Dave Micus's articles in the archives. His writing kept me awake many a long graveyard shift and almost made me want to move to the east coast just to try for one.

http://www.flyanglersonline.com/feat...us/archive.php

As I have not fished for or even seen a striper I will have to leave you in the hands of an expert.

again welcome to FAOL, I'm sure someone with more experience than I will be in shortly to answer your question.

Eric
    "Complexity is easy; Simplicity is difficult."
    Georgy Shragin
    Designer of ppsh41 sub machine gun

I have an Orvis Golden Eagle 8wt. which is a Phillipson in disguise.
    It casts big air resistant flies really well, but I gave up using it for SW fishing years ago.
    Besides being heavy, the slower action doesn't work as well as a faster action rod does in the nearly constant wind.
    And this is just me, but I like my GE too much to use it in the salt. Salt water gear takes a lot of abuse, so I prefer to beat on one of those modern plastic rods.
    I have a bunch of different rods and lines that I use, but my go-to rig is a 9' 8wt medium-fast action rod with a 9wt floating line.
    Someone else might suggest a 9', 9wt with 9wt intermediate line.
    Personal preference
    Last edited by dudley; 04-09-2009 at 02:12 PM.
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements.
    --- Horace Kephart

Default Thanks

Yes, the old Phillipson is a bear to cast. I had a certified instructor wrestle with it and get it going. I agree, a newer rod would be better. I cast well with my Orvis T3 mid flex.
    Thanks,
    Mike

+ Reply to Thread