+ Reply to Thread

Thread: controling aftershaft feathers

Default controling aftershaft feathers

I'm trying to tie the aftershaft leech on this website in the archives but I can't get the aftershaft feathers to stay in the dubbing loop, I'm using wax I even used a little head cement along the thread and still can't get it, does anybody have this skill mastered?
    (It seems like alot of work for a pattern that has way easier ties)

Blog Entries

i always have trouble with this to. i normally will get one feather in, twist the dubbing loop a couple times to secure it in place, slip the next feather in, and repeat. its still annoying at times but it seems to help.

Lightbulb Dubbing loop

YouTube has a video on Dubbing Loops . At the 4 minute mark of this 7-min. video, he talks about how to make a "looser, leech-type dubbing loop..." Watch it and you'll get the idea. You need to slip the aftershaft material between the two waxed strands of thread in the dubbing loop you create, then spin the loop as shown in the video before winding the loop onto the hook shank.
    Whether you think you can, or think you cannot, you're probably right.
    --Author unknown

Normand Guest

are you opening up the loop only enough to insert the fluff and then pushing that up towards the hook shank??

by creating a large loop, nothing will stay attached to the thread but a small loop will allow you to insert the material getting it trapped between the 2 strands of thread and then you can push it closer to the hook shank.

Troutstalker,

I was shown a trick that works well with any hard to control material like this.

Make you 'loop' and attach yourdubbing twisting device of choice....give it a few spins FIRST, before you ever start adding materials.

Now, insert a small amount of the material in the loop and slide it upwards until in catches in the twisted portion of the loop (you'll feel this, it's pretty obvious)..release the material (the loop will spin on it's own a bit, that's normal)...add another couple of turns to the loop and repeat.

I use this for after shaft fibers, marabou, semiseal, flash materials, even deer hair, just about any long fiber that I want to put on with a dubbing loop. Works well and keeps the material under control at all times.

Buddy
    It Just Doesn't Matter....

You have received some good advise and techniques to try. I have not tried this idea, but, I would suggest this:

Before making your dubbing loop trap the tip of the aftershaft on the hook shank with a couple wraps of tying thread and then make your dubbing loop. This way the aftershaft feather should stay in place and all you would need to do is slide it over into the dubbing loop and then twist it up. Like I said, I am not sure this would eliminate your problem because I have not tried it, but, in my mind, it sounds like it would help and should work.
    Warren
    Fly fishing and fly tying are two things that I do, and when I am doing them, they are the only 2 things I think about. They clear my mind.

Well praise the lord I finally did it! I went with Buddy's suggestion of making a few turns first and then inserting the feather, works like a charm.
    Thanks for the help

So were you using 5 feathers as mentioned in the pattern?

Actually when I sat back down at the desk I switched the pattern over to Phill Rowley's aftershaft damsel, I used 2 feathers for the thorax so I'm guessing 4 or 5 feathers for the leech is probably pretty close.

+ Reply to Thread