+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Its Mom's fault!

Default Its Mom's fault!

My mother would run the water in the bathroom sink while my siblings were "on the potty" and I assume that she did the same with me. She believed it would cause a child to go. I must be backsliding pretty fast because I now have to go everytime I step into a stream.

Since wintering in Antarctica years ago I've suffered with the "Big Eye" (insomnia) every now and then. Seems to be an occupational hazard of the damn place.

I hijacked my daughter's tape recorder for a day and put it near a nice ripple and let it run. Figured I'd run it when the "Big Eye" struck again... and it worked! I found that old tape the other day and tried it out again. Sure enough, I dozed right off and slept like a baby...but, like a baby, wet the bed! Son of a gun, what next?

Ol' Bill

Bill,
    I think I just got over informed. You crack me up man. I used to use an album of poetry, read to the sound of the oceans to help me sleep when I was in the Army. It helped me sleep well. I'm greatful it never had that other affect.

------------------
    Life, is the time He gave you to determine where you want to spend eternity.
    Where you go is less important than how you take the steps.
    Fish with a Friend,
    Lotech Joe

Snipe;
    I live "In the Boonies"! So quiet it's hard to sleep?! White noise helps, a fan in summer, but winter is another story! The furnace kicking on will wake me. I've taken to run an electric heater (God forbid the cost!) just for the "Noise"!

Jack,
    I understand the need for white noise. When I'm camped, especially in cool weather, I run my propane heater all night long on low. My tent is vented, so I don't worry about asphixiation and there is always a nice night-light. And, the white noise is soothing.

------------------
    Life, is the time He gave you to determine where you want to spend eternity.
    Where you go is less important than how you take the steps.
    Fish with a Friend,
    Lotech Joe

We have a little machine, (well actually 2 one electric and a tiny battery one) which produce on demand, ocean waves, bubbling brook, frogs, or rain. We do take the tiny one traveling. It is on every night...
    (the ocean is our favorite).

------------------
    LadyFisher, Publisher of
    FAOL

When I was a kid, we had one of those old Kitchen-Aid dishwashers that you wheeled up to the sink. The thing was noisy, but it had a nice, rhythmic lull to it. As a kid, I used to snuggle up beside it (on the kitchen floor) and fall asleep.

In fact, I slept with that thing running through high school, university, and, from time to time, I'll still put it on when I can't sleep. I know it sounds weird, but try it. It produces some awesome white noise!!

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ............

I'll be danged! I never knew that others had similar problems. White noise huh? Never heard of it before but I know exactly what it is. I'd like to try the frogs, crickets etc (like LF) but think I'll not go for the ocean thing. I was wet enough with the small brook!

Ol' Bill

Bill working in a factory and working all the odd shifts during orientation we were taught about fans for white noise. It works I even run a box fan during the winter to sleep now ... my parents both working swing shift have done this for 30 years ... they cant sleep without a fan on, summer or winter,night or day .

Blog Entries

I have a cassette of "loon calls". Puts me right out. Unfortuntely, when the tape ends and the machine kicks off with a "clunk" I sit straight up in bed.

And snipe, running water does it to me too.
    "Flyfishing is not a religion. You can make up your own rules as you go.".. Jim Hatch.. 2/27/'06

I'll be darned... I'm not the only one ready for the loony bin! What if I were to run the frogs, loons, fans, heaters and dish washers all at the same time? Would I sleep that much better?

More likely I'd jump out of the bed like JC's frog...reach for LF's little machine, grab my 12 gauge and take a shot at the loons, burn my feet on the heaters, scream like a banshee, crack my skull on that portable dishwasher and get my PJ's ripped off by the fans as I fly through the kitchen and out the back door to cool my feet in the snow! sssssssss aah! and all this before I opened my eyes!

There's gotta be a better way!

Ol' Bill

+ Reply to Thread