+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast

Thread: Fishing with budget rods (pics)

"And that sums it all up perfectly" ( per Valhalla). But it WONT. This dog will continue to be beaten into submission.

Mark

nighthawk Guest

I do not really see any Shack Nasties here. What I do see is a group of grown folks having a passionate, informative, intellectual discussion. I don't think anyone here is mad, holding a grudge or has an ax to grind. Sure some buttons may have been pushed and emotions ran a little high but to me this has turned into a wonderful learning experience. I am so proud of how everyone has set their emotions aside and engaged in an intellectual discussion that all can learn something from. It takes a lot of courage for folks to bare their souls like this. That is a wonderful thing that is to be cherrished and respected. Such a thing can only come from good hearted people!

By the way, I am a little amazed why someone hasn't asked if something happened to me that caused me to start this thread. You might be surprised by my answer.

OK Eric, I'll bite.....WHAT, pray tell, made you start this thread???
    Mike
    FAOL..All about caring, sharing, & good friends!!

Tyrone, You can bet Steve hasn't had to pay for a rod in quite awhile either! Big difference if you bought it or if it was given to you.

Default Let's Enjoy Each Other

Cheap equipment, expensive equipment, it's a matter of personal priority. It doesn't make a person good or bad, yuppie or conservative. It's hearts that matter, and I can truly say, it's very rare that I meet an unkind fisher-person on the water.
    Peace

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by DEcevR View Post
    Tyrone, You can bet Steve hasn't had to pay for a rod in quite awhile either! Big difference if you bought it or if it was given to you.

Oh please! If Steve felt he could win tournaments with a budget rod he would use them. GLoomis make budget rods, but you don't see Steve using those in tournaments and he can have his pick of those for free as well.
    Last edited by TyroneFly; 04-04-2009 at 02:48 PM.
    Trout don't speak Latin.

I have always bought the best rods and reels that I could afford at the time. So, my rods range from a Cabelas 3 Forks to Orvis bamboo with a few Winstons in between. I'm a teacher, so I don't make a lot of money. I scrimp and save when and where I can to get the stuff I want.

I'm done buying gear. I need a new fishing vehicle. 14 years ago. I bought the best car I could afford. That was 300K miles ago.

I don't have an attitude when it comes to fishing. I can't cast very well, so I don't catch many fish. The important thing for me is being there.

This year for my birthday I spent a whole 100 bucks on a rod.
    It's nice and comes in 4 pieces.

I really can't tell the difference when it comes to the minute nuances of casting. I get my fly where it needs to be when it needs to be there-and for me it's more about they fly anyway.

My personal fav's are still the 20-30$ Scientific Angler green sticks that Wally World used to sell.

However, I have even made a fly rod from a bamboo tomato stake. I used bulletin board cork for the handle, twisted paperclip wire for the guides and parachute cord for the wrap. I found the reel seat at a lake and put it in my tacke box years ago. Took the thing to the local park and caught some bluegills and basses. The kids there were asking me if it was one of those expensive bamboo rods they sell at Cabelas.
    It's.....Just....A.....Stick...!!

Quote Originally Posted by Bakerloo View Post
    I have always bought the best rods and reels that I could afford at the time. So, my rods range from a Cabelas 3 Forks to Orvis bamboo with a few Winstons in between. I'm a teacher, so I don't make a lot of money. I scrimp and save when and where I can to get the stuff I want.

I'm done buying gear. I need a new fishing vehicle. 14 years ago. I bought the best car I could afford. That was 300K miles ago.

I don't have an attitude when it comes to fishing. I can't cast very well, so I don't catch many fish. The important thing for me is being there.
    ABSOLUTELY!!!! and a right on!

What does it matter how expensive my gear is? What matters is my willingness to give you the hot fly of the day if you aren't catching many fish, and a short lesson on how to use it if you need the knowledge. Folks sometimes say it doesn't matter what others think, but I feel that it matters what others see in me.

+ Reply to Thread