+ Reply to Thread

Thread: who has used the new Avid IPC rods?

1. Default who has used the new Avid IPC rods?

I saw that LF liked them after the show, and I'm considering both a 7'9" 3wt for mtn streams and a 9'6" 7wt for Erie steel and Oak Orchard browns.

I can't seem to find any in my part of the world, western Pa, curious to hear some impressions from those of you who have actually seen/cast/fished them?

We are giving away a 8' 5 weight 4 pc Avid,
    for the Monthly Drawing. I did not cast all of the new Avid rods, but did cast a few - all were outstanding.

------------------
    LadyFisher, Publisher of
    FAOL

I own an Avid 9wt that I really like, and I have fished with the 5wt model as well as the 3wt and I think they are great rods especially for the price. And you can't beat the St. Croix warranty and service.

I was wondering if it seems like those avids are big water rods to anyone else? I fish a lot of streams that are forest right to the bank calling for shorter casts and it has always seemed like the st.croix rods need some space to load. Maybe I should up one on the line? Other than that they are ok to me.

5. Default

ADAMHRY,

No, can't say that my limited experiences with the older, non IPC version of the Avid makes them feel like big water rods. In fact, they were a bit softer/slower than what I'd prefer for big water. That 7'3wt of my buddies is a beaut of a small crick rod, though it will carry line well enough that it's not limited by much on larger streams.

Bump for visibility, any one else got any feedback?

Don't buy a rod based upon what others think of them. Go to your nears fly shop and cast a bunhc of rods. Get the ones YOU like. If you were buying a car would you buy one sight unseen without driving it? No way. You might check that model out and consider it, but not buy it. Fly rods are the same way. The only exception is if you're an absolute beginner and you don't know how to cast at all. In that case, buying on a recommendation makes sense, because even if you cast it you won't really understand how it responds.

Anyway get out there and try some rods before taking the leap is my best advice.

-John

+ Reply to Thread