+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Aquastealth vs. Vibram

Default Aquastealth vs. Vibram

I've been using Simm's Studded Guide boots with Aquastealth for the past 7+ years. It's time for a new pair of boots (the laces are getting ratty). Looking at the Simm's website I see they no longer make Aquastealth soled boots. They are using Vibram soles now. However, they do not make a studded Vibram. I love the studded Aquastealth boot and I'd like some feedback from anyone using the Vibram without studs.

I have been using a pair of the Simms Streamtread boots for 4 months now and they are great. As good as, felt in the water and they are a excellent walking boot as well for those long hikes back into the boonies.

Roy

Thumbs up Just pointing out an option.

Hi Ray - If you like studded Aquastealth, there's another option other than Vibram and Simms. Unless you have really wide feet, these may be the ticket for you.

http://www.llbean.com/webapp/wcs/sto...1109-sub2&np=Y

Another nice thing about these boots, is that if you buy them, and don't like them, just return them for a full refund. One day, one week, one year later - makes no difference how long it is. It's not just a warranty, it's a 100% SATISFACTION guarantee. They could save you a few bucks as well.

I have two pairs of the Aquastealths - one studded. one with no studs. The studless version works for all but the nastiest wading rivers for me. The studded version is just unbelievable as far as grip.

I'll never buy felt or studded felt again!

Simms also has screw in studs available for their boots. I don't know if you want to go that route, but it is an option. I can tell you from personal experience with their carbide screw in studs that they grip great. I use them in conjunction with felt soles for now, but when their worn out I'll be going to the Vibram soles. The nice things about the screw in studs is the fact that you can take them out or put them in as needed. For instance, if you fish from a boat you can take the studs out or if you know that a particular stream or lake that you're fishing is easy wading and you don't need studs you can take them out to prolong their lifespan.
    Dead fish don't make reel music.

Quote Originally Posted by Host Ray View Post
    . It's time for a new pair of boots (the laces are getting ratty)..
    Maybe it's just the old yankee in me, but I'd just spring a couple of bucks on new laces and keep those old boots out of the landfill.
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements.
    --- Horace Kephart

6. Default Aquastealth vs. Vibram

I'm currently trying five pairs of rubber-soled wading boots for an upcoming article on the subject in next winter's issue iof Flyfishing & Tying Journal. Two of them have provisions for installing studs; Chota and Simms. I don't think the intent is for the studs to be readily removeable. I strongly suspect that the pilot hole for the screw-in stud would, after a few iterations, become "hogged out" and no longer hold the stud securely. Having tried all five of the boots (Chota, L.L. Bean, Patagonia, Simms and Cloudveil) at least once, I've found them all to be better than earlier rubber soles, but still not quite up to felt for stability.

Preston, ... I was thinking the same thing.

IMHO, if you use the boots without the included studs just a few times, the muck and sand that gets plugged in the hole will make it pretty difficult to put the studs back in.
    Christopher Chin

hutjensmpg Guest

Ray - I just replaced a pair of 8 year old Simms with the Vibram. Have only used them once, but purposely stood on some submerged flat rocks I didn't need to - the boots work great and I think you'd really like them.

That said, I replaced the laces on those old boots a couple of times before the soles began to fall off (not the felt, we're talking sole separating from uppers). I used the Kiwi outdoors laces - got mine at Target - and actually liked them better than the originals. They tightened up better because they were just a bit thinner. I think the thinness caused them to wear a little faster on the speed lacing portion, but they came two pair to a pack so I just kept the other set with my fishing gear.

+ Reply to Thread