+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Possibly stupid question

Default Possibly stupid question

Can you paddle a canoe with a yak paddle? I'm thinking especially when you are alone. It seems that it would be easier on the body. Thanks.
    To Miss Nancy - She hated fishing, but loved a fisherman.

Blog Entries

Thumbs up

From my understanding it is the preferd way for solo canoes,

I have considered buying a yak paddle also, I would sit in the normal front seat facing the rear for better ballance of the canoe.

Eric
    "Complexity is easy; Simplicity is difficult."
    Georgy Shragin
    Designer of ppsh41 sub machine gun

By "yak paddle" I assume you mean two blades on a single shaft. Yes, that's all I use on my one man, 13 ft., Wenonah Fushion canoe. But, then again, I sit roughly in the middle of the canoe, and don't know how a double blade would do on a bigger and heavier boat when you were seated in the stern.
    No man can have too many fly rods;
    no woman too many shoes.

Default double paddle

I use a double paddle with my Merlin II solo canoe most of the time. For me it is faster, straighter, and easier on my bad back. The one issue you will have is that the double ended paddle will deliver more water inside the canoe than a single blade paddle. I toss a sponge in the boat to take up the drippage and paddling is a water sport. But if you must be dry it is hard to do it with a double blader.

David

David,
    Great idea....the sponge. I'm going to use that, OK?
    .....lee s.

I tried a double bladed paddle in my canoe and didn't like it. The canoe was too wide to use the paddle correctly and it just didn't "feel" right.

Blog Entries

There are paddles made for canoe use that are double bladed -- and wouldn't suggest sitting in one end or other when solo in canoe with or without double blade -- easier to move towards centre of canoe -- and kneel -- when paddling with single blade paddle I tend to sit with back to centre thwart over to side that I'm paddling on (literally "leaning" canoe over to that side -- J stroke keeps canoe in straight line without "switching" sides -- or I prefer "Indian" stroke

But double blades work well in canoe -- could use regular kayak paddle if have to as well -- especially if blades offset depending on which hand is dominant in paddling stroke (same as in kayak) -- makes for more effiecient paddling stroke and easier paddling
    "No matter how complicated life can get -- remember life is sometimes like fly fishing; after turning over every rock in the river trying to "match the hatch", you have probably spooked every fish for miles -- so don't let the "little things" BUG you -- just enjoy whatever you find." Mike Ormsby

Default Thanks

Thanks for the input. As for the sponge - take a plastic gallon jug with a handle and cut away the side opposite, so you have a scoop. Tie this to your big sponge.
    To Miss Nancy - She hated fishing, but loved a fisherman.

+ Reply to Thread