+ Reply to Thread

Thread: I NEED HELP! Joe?

Default I NEED HELP! Joe?

I cook pretty well. I don't ever go hungry, and rarely get complaints from my wife. Give me an empty fridge and pantry and I can usually figure out a pretty good meal.

I CAN NOT BAKE! I want to, but I never have. I don't know what does what, how to mix things, tempuratures, times, anything. Either I can't follow direction, or people post bogus receipes on-line. The hard rolls I tried baking tonight for tomorrow mornings breakfast sandwiches are hard balls ready for the first pitch at yankee stadium. Then I remembered all the good looking breads Joe posted on here.

All Im looking for is a receipe for a loaf of wheat bread and a receipe for sandwhich rolls. I didn't think this would be hard but now this is my last hope before I wave the little white flag and start looking for a bakery.

THANK YOU!

Cool Here's help -

JC makes this one for us: http://www.flyanglersonline.com/feat...okin090808.php Yes, this is the first bread recipe Joe posted *S*
    Ya, I do make that one up, sometimes I use different flowers, but it is the most simple, never-fail, I just cain't screw this up thing, ever. Give it a try. Just follow the directions. "GIT 'ER DONE!"

Maybe I wrong and you are doing this but it sounds like your not like the dough rise. Even with the recipe Ladyfisher posted, it says you have to let the dough rest. That's so the yeast can do it's thing.
    ------------------------
    Rich

Blog Entries

How old is your yeast? is it more than six months old, have you kept it cool, if not throw it out and buy some more. I buy in commercial packages keep it in the freezer take smaller amounts out and keep it in the fridge till used.

Having moved from the Oregon coast at sea level to Ely NV at 6500 feet and many places in between, bread is tough. the environment, elevation, humidity all effect your bread.

If all you want is the smell and taste of fresh bread buy yourself a bread machine, I can give you a good two pound loaf wheat bread recipe for one. We have worn out two bread machines and use our third to make most of the bread my family eats.

If you want to make bread by hand and the hints here don't help find a class, If you cant find one locally then post a wanted message on craigslist, I'm sure someone locally will teach you a lesson or two for a few bucks. here is a link to an tutorial http://www.fabulousfoods.com/recipes/article/223/19904

Eric
    Last edited by Eric-WD; 04-04-2009 at 03:39 PM.
    "Complexity is easy; Simplicity is difficult."
    Georgy Shragin
    Designer of ppsh41 sub machine gun

I think my yeast is fine, I used the dry package from the store. I might not have let it rise as I should. I am pretty sure everything doubled in size, but I could have a bad eye for that type of thing. I want a bread machine, but with a new house figured I could hold off for a while and start making the stuff by hand. I used to work at a pizza place and made the dough there and everything turned out fine so I though making bread would be easy. I guess I could be over working it, too. I'll try that receipe and see how it goes, maybe I just need more practice.

I posted a whole wheat bread recipe a couple of weeks ago. Give this a try at http://www.flyanglersonline.com/feat...okin031609.php .

We like this recipe, and it keeps fine in the freezer as well. I let it get to room temperature, slice it, bag it and pop it in the freezer. Since it's just the two of us, we take out as many slices as needed, then put the rest back int he freezer.

I just made these a couple days ago. Be sure to let the dough double in size before punching down. Once punched down, divide the dough in two pieces, fold each half into a rectangle, roll that into a log, pinch the seam closed, then put in the pans with the seam side down. cover with plastic wrap and allow to double in size, then put in the oven.

Be sure to proof your yeast if you use the Active Dry yeast. It must foam up to prove it is alive. If it does not foam up, trow it out and go buy fresh yeast. I use INSTANT YEAST which does not require proofing. It goes right in with the dry ingredients. For the life of me, I cannot understand why they still sell that archaic yeast.

Last edited by Joe Valencic; 04-06-2009 at 12:05 AM.
    Joe Valencic
    Life Member FFF
    Rod Builder in Chains

Maine, Now I've retired to North Carolina (just south of Fayetteville)

Joe; I love your posts, BUT !! They get me hungry AGAIN !! Haven't made bread in a couple weeks, gonna have to now lol lol

+ Reply to Thread