+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Streamside snacks

Default Streamside snacks

Hi folks, RW here,

This was done about two or three years ago..time to do it again with all the new members we have. What is your favorite snack to take along for a day astream?

Before my cholesterol problem it was always hardboiled eggs for me. Luv em..but they don't luv me. Now it's a small pocket size bag of trail-mix (my own recipe) or a couple granola bars... power bars, etc. Plenty of cold coke back at the truck.

I remember when the former thread went up there were gourmet lunches streamside, with wine and a good macanudo cigar for an afternoon break. Also some excellent ideas for snacks came of it.

Before I quit drinking I used to stash a can of beer every hundred yards or so, in the cold water in obscure places as I fished upstream ( I wore a vest back then). As I fished back downstream I'd have my beer breaks as the day wound down. Usually had something good back in the truck in a cooler when the fishing was done.

So how bout some of you. Snacks? No snacks? Hearty lunch? Midday break to a diner? What's your favorite?
    With Thanksgiving almost on us it's time to think about food. Should make for a good thread.

Later, RW

------------------
    "We fish for pleasure; I for mine, you for yours." -James Leisenring on fishing the wet fly-
    "The value of trout is simply that they exist" <Frank Weisbarth>

Around 45 years ago my grandfather gave me some excellent advise.
    Alway carry some hard candy in your vest pocket.
    One little piece of candy will quench both thirst and hunger when you just can't bring yourself to reel-up and go home.
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements.
    --- Horace Kephart

Steak Tataki (steak marinated in soy sauce, ginger and onion) with sushi rolls (home made). I don't do this every trip but once in a while its alot of fun!

jed

I guess I am no fun in this thread. When I go fishing, I fish, not eat. That comes later. On a long hunt, I'll take a couple candy bars (choc w/almonds or something like that).

I am confuuuusssed don't you guys just look in the PIC-A-NIC basket that the wife packed and select some goody while she rows the boat down to the next spot??? LOL

Rich

If I am going to be out for a long day I may take a few granola bars and a soda or water...Like that cold beer in the stream idea though..hummm. I also occasionaly take a fine cigar and may take a break for a few moments...smell the roses sort of break..

Bill

RW

I normally will take a sandwich, usually pb&j, a candy bar(Snikers) and a bottle of water. All tucked in the back pouch of my vest. Oh and a flask with a bit of single malt.

If I am fishing from the yak, then I'll pack a small cooler and take some summer sausage and cheese, a few crakers and some cold beer along with the water.
    " If a man is truly blessed, he returns home from fishing to the best catch of his life." Christopher Armour

If I take anything at all it would be some saltine crackers with peanut butter that I make up beforehand and put in a zip lock bag plus a bottle of water. Usually do not stop to snack but will snack as I walk through the woods to the next spot on the river or while floating in my Hobie Cat from hole to hole. I enjoy the fishing so much that I do not want to stop and eat so I eat and fish/walk at the same time.
    Warren
    Fly fishing and fly tying are two things that I do, and when I am doing them, they are the only 2 things I think about. They clear my mind.

If I am going to be out all day I take
    an apple ,a piece of cheese,and a piece of ring balonga. Always have my pipe or a good cigar.

wet
    Working Trout Bum

Water only... A few good cigars... If you ever had a kidney stone you know that water is important. Stones can form in minutes if you get dehydrated and believe me, if you haven't had em, you don't want em and if you've had em once you sure as heck don't want em again!!!!

+ Reply to Thread