+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Winter trout destinations?

Default Winter trout destinations?

Does anybody have a suggestion for a warmer winter trout destination? My significant other has suggested we should go somehere over christmas break. I am inclined to agree with her. What is out there, we would prefer warmer weather than Iowa and water that is wadeable.

I don't know if 40 degree temps is warm, but you'll find plenty of large, willing fish like this one in the San Juan River in Northwestern New Mexico. The hatches never stop, and the fishing is almost always good. It's a nice escape from the cold, closed trout seasons most people are used to.

I lived in northern california for a while, during my college years there. I fished quite often in the ocean and in the rivers and streams near there. Where are you from?

Don't forget Arkansas. The White River system is unbelievably productive...lots of fish.

We catch some good fish here in the winter and the temps are fairly warm. Here is a fish we caught 2 days ago.

John

------------------
    [url=http://www.flyfishingarkansas.com:61d9d]http://www.flyfishingarkansas.com[/url:61d9d]

[This message has been edited by FlyFishAR (edited 28 November 2005).]

Lower sac river near Redding, CA. Helps to have a guide and/or a boat.

-John

C'mon...be a man and go to northern Ontario for steelhead in February!!! just kiddin. I did that two years ago and my eye lids are just thawing now. I'd second New Mexico. I also read some interesting things a while back about Apache trout in Mexico. At least i think that's where you catch'em. Anybody know?

Of course, you could be a copy cat and steal my dream of going to New Zealand.

------------------
    Joe C.
    "Drift: If you saw a
    piece of steak moving
    unnaturally on your
    plate, would you eat it?"
    - Nick Lyons

Why not check out Western NY? Colder weather means the flows are more consistent, fewer folks are on the water, and there are PLENTY of browns and steelies to go around. Got my first steel of the season this past Saturday on the Genesee in Rochester while visiting my folks. Too bad we're in Baltimore the rest of the year...

Marty
    MFTG

+ Reply to Thread