+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2 handed casts for stillwater

Question 2 handed casts for stillwater

For you two-handers out there, what casts and line setups are you using for still water use?
    While I am thinking about it, what is a switch cast?
    Trout don't speak Latin.

Uncle Barry Guest

Good evening TFly.
    Your two lines of questions, really should be answered in about 10,000 words !

Which I will not unless I was to write a book on the subject.

Generally,
    and depending on conditions
    and the fly used.

"what casts"
    Underhand and Double Spey and or Switch

"and line setups are you using for still water use? "
    12ft 5/6w and or 12 7/8w and or 5/6w 10'6" Switch rod.

Lines........ the answer is far too long, because it/they change as does the leader with
    and depending on conditions
    and the fly used.

"While I am thinking about it, what is a switch cast?"
    this can be performed with a single or any of the Double rods including a Switch rod.

Instead or me burning my fingers here, take a look at YouTube under Switch casts.

Kind regards,
    UB

I use a Scandi line (with a Versi leader). The line has a short head, so I can retrieve a lot of line after each cast. Also, the line allows me to make relatively short casts.

For still waters I'd also consider a Skagit line. It has an even shorter head than a Scandi, and can handle heavier flies, but it's a so-called "noisy" line.

Most of the time I use a basic single spey cast.

Randy
    Last edited by randyflycaster; 04-02-2009 at 02:14 PM. Reason: Additonal info

UB, I look forward to your book.

I have a 5/6 12'6 Spey Rod. The lines I have are Airflo #20 running line, Airflo Compact Scandi 5/6 360 grain shooting head and Airflo 10' poyleaders. I will be tossing dries and streamers. Since I am a beginner, I think it is best for me to start off with trying to master no more than three casts like the double spey, single spey and the circle cast. Would you recommend these casts to start off with on still waters?
    Trout don't speak Latin.

Uncle Barry Guest

Good evening TF.
    Lets try and answer your questions one at a time.

'5/6 12'6 Spey Rod'
    I use a 12foot 5/6w and happen to know the designer..me.

'The lines I have are Airflo #20 running line, Airflo Compact Scandi 5/6 360 grain shooting head'

I have a number of Scandi type heads, RIO and Guideline for other line/rod classes.
    And use a running/shooting line like the AIRFLO #20, for the smaller classes

Myself,
    I did not like the presentation on the water of the Scandi type head, I could be very wrong and it could be my casting.

Therefore I elected to use a AIRFLO Expert plus 40, 6w line with produces wonderful presentation on still/flat water. This like has the advantage of a colour change between the head and running line.

'and Airflo 10' poyleaders."
    I also use these, great leaders !!!!!!!!!

I would suggest a tippet length of AT LEAST 4 feet, stepping down to your selected breaking strain, the leader should be at least the length of your rod in the baby Spey classes to make casting easy.

"I will be tossing dries and streamers"
    I toss all flies with the little Spey, including saltwater ones.

"Since I am a beginner, "
    Whats this ?
    We are ALL BEGINNERS !
    If someone starts with I am an expert b/s, just leave, exit stage right !
    As there are no experts, there are natural casters and ones who make it look easy, thats all.

"I think it is best for me to start off with trying to master no more than three casts like the double spey, single spey and the circle cast. Would you recommend these casts to start off with on still waters? "

I would with respect suggest you are wrong and in too much of a hurry.
    Start with a Single Spey cast, master it, learn to understand whats happening, how it feels and 'what does what'.

Master this as the SS is the foundation of most casts, then the other casts will come easy.

The SS when your reaching out about 75 to 80 feet, measured (without any b/s), then your flying, the other casts will be just means of loading the SS.

Circle cast...did you mean the Snake or Belgium cast ?

If I can be of any help, please feel free to PM me or ask here and we might get some better ideas,

Kind regards,
    UB

Thanks UB,

I am finding that three casts are bit much so I like your suggestion on working to master the SS. The circle cast is one I know from John and Amy Hazel's Intro to Spey Casting. It's not a Snake cast as far as I can tell, but a way to establish the anchor placement off your right side for a 90 degree cast from shore with the line starting downstream on your left. I wish I had a video I could find to show you what I am trying to say.
    Trout don't speak Latin.

I'm primarily a stillwater fisherman and this winter I've been fishing a big lake with some large Cutts using a 7 wt. and 5 wt. switch rod mostly two hand overhead casting. The fiver likes an Airflo 40+ #8 floater for indicator fishing or for deep work a 9 wt. sinking shooting head behind Rio Power Flex .030 intermediate running line. The 7 wt. is happy with two line weights up from the five. The five wt. & 40+ is nice on moving water trout fishing doing indi fishing, swinging soft hackles, buggers, even Czech nymphing. The 7 wt. is waiting for a trip to steelhead/salmon country where a SA single hand Skagit line about 400 grains plus poly tips will get it done. The new short Skagit heads are perfect for switch rods. I believe the switch cast is described as a dynamic roll cast similar to the single spey. If you master the single spey other underhand casts will be pretty easy. I really like that I can two hand overhead cast the switchers all day without any stress on my aging shoulders & elbows and get more distance with less perceived effort.

John

JohnV,

Welcome aboard! What still waters are your fishing with your switch rod? My home waters are in the Sierra's. Places like Beardsley lake, Pinecrest lake and the Sonora Pass.
    Trout don't speak Latin.

Default Greetings

JohnV -

Greetings and welcome from SE Idaho.

That's an interesting lake you are referring to, if it is the one I think it is, with some pretty good size cutts.

Now that you are signed on, hope you will join in regularly on the BB.

John
    The fish are always right.

Thanks for the Welcome. The lake I refer to is Pyramid lake about an hour northeast of Reno, NV. It regularly produces Cutts over 10 lbs. but it can be a harsh place with wind, cold and rapid weather changes. We stand on ladders off the beaches and cast out into the lake with fast sinking heads hoping to attract the cruisers. Starting in March until the lake closes in June the Cutts start their spawning ritual and can be caught consistently with indi rigs and blood midge larva patterns. Big fun! It's perfect for two handed rods as repetitve casting with heavier weight single hand rods is tiring to say the least. And I think the longer rod is easier to handle a big fish that rolls and head shakes like these Cutts will do. Plus a 2 hand rods keep that big fly farther away from your head when rocket launching shooting heads.

JohnV

+ Reply to Thread