+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Which takes more skill?

Default Which takes more skill?

Casting and fishing a slower action rod or a faster action rod?
    I ask because in my brief fly fishing career of 4 years I have made the full circle starting with the gotta have it now, cast a mile because it's cool, fast action rods sold by slick salesmen and marketing. The slower, all around better feeling medium fast action rods. And now I'm in love with the slower paced, feel every bit of energy, slow action, sunday driver rods. These rods are definitely making my casting better and fitting my style more. Plus, the presentations are much more delicate and they make a bluegill feel like a marlin.
    I wasted a lot of money to get to where I am now and I'm trying to start my younger brother, but he's getting discouraged because of the difficulty of casting. I don't want to make the same mistakes with him that I've made with myself. Did I start off on the wrong end of things?
    It seems to me that the only reason to have a fast action rod is if you are dealing with the winds of a salt water environment or on a drift boat out west. Otherwise, the slower action, better presentation is the way to go for trout. What do you think?
    Sorry for all the different thoughts. There's probably enough for four or five different threads.
    Please school me, becuase this is the best place I've found for information. I value everyone's opinion here.
    Ben

RW here,

After about 50 years of fly fishing, it's slow to medium action for me. You've already given the reasons why. If all ya wanna be is cool get a bull whip and practice taking cigarettes out of a pretty girl's mouth. You'll be the coolest guy around.

Later, RW

------------------
    "We fish for pleasure; I for mine, you for yours." -James Leisenring on fishing the wet fly-

[This message has been edited by Royal Wulff (edited 22 November 2005).]
    "The value of trout is simply that they exist" <Frank Weisbarth>

Different strokes for different folks...

Or, in my case, depends upon what I'm fishing for! Fast action on the boat or beach for longer distances, sinking lines and big flies. Fast action for big fish where rod and butt strength is critical.

Medium/fast for most everything else. Soft is what I use to teach so the student can feel the load and learn.

[This message has been edited by SW Ladyfish (edited 22 November 2005).]

I should reserect the responce I posted to a similar thread a month or so ago. I like um all. A competent caster can make delicate presentations with a fast rod and get decent distance with a soft one.
    In my view it's all about getting in time with the rod you're holding in your hand.

I guess I'm in between then. I can make really good casts, with distance, with the softer rods. But I have no delicacy whatsoever with a faster rod. Thanks! And if anyone has anything else to add, please do so.
    Ben

Ben,
    Good question. And interesting! Believe me ya' aren't alone here.

I need to stop saying I'm "new" to FF'ing but after only 6 years in it I still feel that way for the most part.

For my first few years, to me, the more you paid for a rod the faster they were. So because of the cost...all high buck rods were the fastest...e.g. "the best!" Hmmmm.

I thought this for a long time. And it has some merit since the Sages and the Loomis rods I came into contact with were like this. Especially that IMX, which I still have.

I never considered the Sages as fast until I got the hang of bamboo's. Man, did that change everything! I honestly thought my 9' 3wt Sage SP (wonderful rod) was a noodle and it took me 3 weeks to buy it. What a noodle!

After the intiation to bamboo's and softer rods, that SP became a rod I'd actually overline with a 4wt line! Amazing! What a change. Are my tastes changing? Probably.

So, more to your post. I still feel these rocket rods have a big place in my arsenal. I use them on windy days and for big flies..e.g. pike, bass, muskies etc.

But now, for my trouting on SPRING CREEKS that a no more than 25-30ft across and usually a lot less, I'll go with the slower rods "most" of the time. The bamboo's in a 4wt.

There are "a lot" of times when I go back to the quicker rods when I go light though...in the 1-3 wts! then it's my Sage SPL's etc. And I still love those.

If your brother begins with a med. slow to med. fast rod, I'm thinking he'll feel the rods action more and feel it load easier. This is a highly subjective field and I guess you know that by the tone of your post!

HTH.

Jeremy.

Could be the blind leading some one who can't see.

Rich

I think a well practiced and skilled fly caster can cast equally as well with rods from across the spectrum from slow to fast.

Same goes for presentation - a good caster can make a delicate presentation with a 5wt cane rod, or a Sage TCR if they truly have learned how to use a fly rod.

Most casters will develop a preference. Many casters that I know find that their preferences change over time as they become more skilled.

The stiffness of a rod determins the line weight, WHERE it bends determins the action! A 5 is a 5 is a 5 and with a givin amount of weight all actions bend the SAME AMOUNT they simply bend in different places. Now I won't try to tell anyone how much a 5 will bend, as there is only guide lines but what ever it is it is. There are very fast Bamboos and very slow graphites and everything in between But weather a rod is made of Cane, glass or graphite A 5 weight has the same stiffness in all materails That is what makes it a 5.

Rich

Worms! I smell worms! Who opened a can of 'em?!?!?!?
    Don Rolfson

+ Reply to Thread