Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help - Choose between 3 rods

Default Help - Choose between 3 rods

Orvis Superfine Rod 7'11" 4 wt Full Flex 4.5
    or
    Orvis Trident TLS rod 7'11" 4wt 2pc mid flex 6.0
    or
    Orvis Trident TLS rod 7'9" 3wt 2pc full flex 4.5

I can't seem to find anywhere in my area I can test these rods. They are all in the same price range. I like rods with a good flex and have been using all mid flex rods but I think I would like a full flex rod. Any pros or cons to these rods would be great. Thanks

------------------
    [url=http://dryfly.argodesignstudio.com:b3346]http://dryfly.argodesignstudio.com[/url:b3346]

I work for Orvis P/T (high school teacher F/T), and I think each of the rods you mention will be appealing if you enjoy slow action rods. Personally, the 7'9" 3# is not my favorite ... it's a little too "whippy" for me. On the other hand I genuinely enjoy the Superfine 7'6" 3# "Tippet." In my opinion, this rod and the 7'9" Superfine "Far and Fine" are the best of Orvis' slower rods. Of the two 7'11" rods ... I prefer the Superfine. I can't really say objectively why ... I just cast a better line with it. Neither of these rods is a noodle like the 7'9" 3#, and both are suprisingly versatile for such relatively small rods.

Too bad you're not looking for a 2# ... I'm thinking of selling my 7'9" J-Class (rod built for the Japanese market). I recently picked up a little quad bamboozle that fills this rod's slot in my quiver.

Best O' Luck,

Mike D. [url=http://battenkill.tripod.com:10598]http://battenkill.tripod.com[/url:10598]

7*, the only rod on your list I have cast/owned is the 7/11. Mine is the older version with unsanded blank but the word I hear is they cast the same.

The rod is soft, bends plumb to the butt cap. Yet recovers quite well, very smooth to cast, delicate. Throws a suprising amount of line, a pleasure to fish with. The rod is great for spring creeks like our Missouri trout parks where the biggest fish you can hope for is 15".

The Far and Fine Mike_D mentions is becoming a favorite of mine. It is accurate, has enough line weight to make really short casts. Its nearly perfect for me as a rod to fish little places.

Thanks for the comments. Any other are appreciated.
    Mike_D - I am also from Upstate NY, only a bit more Upstate (Rochester). I'm going back to school to be an teacher too... art (right now F/T - graphic designer).

Buzz - which 7/11 are you referring to?

Superfine

I also have an old Far and Fine, a 5wt, also unsanded. The story I got on the rod was it was designed by Payne to be 'close' to bamboo action, and was the 1st graphite rod produced by Orvis. I've kept it all these years, 30 or so. It is a lovely rod.

------------------
    LadyFisher, Publisher of
    FAOL

LF...good info on the Far and Fine, I had never heard the Payne story- - Thanks
    I am a new comer to the rod....since May but have fished it quite a bit.
    From an email from Orvis I learn the taper of the rod has not changed since its inception, only the cosmetics.
    And at one time the Far and Fine out sold all other Orvis rods combined which to me says alot about the rods fishability.
    If there is such a thing as a "classic" graphite rod the FnF would surely be one.

7star,

I have recently discovered the often overlooked series of Superfine rods from Orvis and I love them. I bought a Trout Bum (7', 4 piece, 4 wt.) and I don't know what I ever did without it. Next will be the Far n Fine. You won't be disappointed with the Superfine, especially since they've updated them.
    Ben

Another vote for the Superfine.

Bill O.

------------------
    [url=http://www.oysterbamboo.com:44835]www.oysterbamboo.com[/url:44835]

I have an Orvis 7'11" Silver label 4 wt, 2-piece, medium 6.0 flex. I would consider this rod a "slow medium". I beleive it is just a less expensive version of the TLS Trident, but built on the same blank. I like the rod a lot, BUT if I had to do it all over again, I would get the Superfine.
    I like "closer in loading" and even more "feel" than the Silver Label.

------------------
    Knowledge is power ? Nam et ipsa scientia potestas est.
    ? Sir Francis Bacon (1561-1626)
    The_Sib

+ Reply to Thread