+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Youth Sized Waders

Question Youth Sized Waders

Hi everyone. My middle daughter is becoming increasingly interested in fly fishing. I took her quite a few times last summer and she really enjoyed it. Of course her attention span is limited (she's only nine) so I kept the trips short, usually under an hour or two. She caught several trout (one on a pheasant tail nymph that she tied herself) so I think she's hooked. Anyway, here's my dilemma: As the water temperature around here is generally in the upper forties/low fifties for most of the spring months, she obviously needs a pair of waders (she just waded "wet" last summer). The only youth sized waders I've been able to find online are boot foot models. Although I suppose that would be acceptable, I would really like to find a pair of stocking foot waders for her since she grows quite quickly (especially her feet) and I think she'd likely outgrow the boot feet long before she actually outgrew the waders. Anyway, if anyone can offer any advice on where to find something like this, both Jessica and I would really appreciate it.

Thanks,

-Darryl
    My one wish is that when I die my wife doesn't sell my fishing stuff for what I told her I paid for it...

Here are a few links I found on line, I used 'youth stocking foot wader' as the search...

http://www.google.com/products?sourc...num=1&ct=title

You didn't mention how old (or what size) your daughter is, if she is too small to fit the typical wader you might try getting some inexpensive plastic hip boots and 'wet wading' wearing some polypropelene thermal long johns. This is how I got my nephew fishing until he grew large enough for youth sizes. I got the boots at Home Depot, sold as cheap chinese import boots for concrete work, small sizes and they came upto his knees.

Bass Pro Shops has a couple models of youth stocking foot waders.

Rocky

Quote Originally Posted by ELKHUNTER View Post
    Bass Pro Shops has a couple models of youth stocking foot waders.

Rocky
    Yep. just got my son a piar of the White River breathables for kids.

For wading boots I went with Sierra Trading Post, was able to get a pair of close-out Korkers in a mens 6 for $30 which was cheaper than the generic wading boots at bass pro. The smaller sizes are usually the last to go and by then STP has them around 70% or more off.
    Joe

uhh...nevermind

Blog Entries

Better to be an active environmentalist than and environmental activist.

FFMIRSWTNBOF
    (Full Fledged Member in Raunchy Standing-Within The NBOF)

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/st...009000_175-9-0

I would suggest just getting her some hippers though. Cheaper to buy new ones when she outgrows them every six months. Not sure about sizing on those though...

Exclamation

Thanks for the replies guys! I think I'm going to go with the Bass Pro ones that several of you have mentioned. I feel so stupid - I checked Orvis, L.L. Bean and Cabela's but never even thought of trying Bass Pro Shops.

Thanks again,

-Darryl
    My one wish is that when I die my wife doesn't sell my fishing stuff for what I told her I paid for it...

+ Reply to Thread