+ Reply to Thread

Thread: The Further Corruption of the Grandkids

Talking The Further Corruption of the Grandkids

Well, my fly tying experiences started with the class that bassman taught at his Church in October and November 2008. Somehow I managed to get hooked. And have jumped into swaps with both feet. Learning a lot and enjoying the heck out of it.

I have since proved that a trout can be caught on a fly I've tied. Note the emphasis on the singular. I haven't been able to prove that the trout catching mojo is still in those flies after one fish, however.

Anyway, my granddaughter spent a weekend with us a few weeks ago. She was doing crafty kinds of things with my wife. Latch hook. Cross stitch. The 9 year old is quite artistic.

Saturday evening she says, "Poppy, can we tie some flies." How cool is that? An unsolicited request to join in on Poppy's fun. Stifling a "Whooo Hoooo!" I said, "Sure we can."

Between the two of us we managed a pretty good "Lady's Fish Finder". She really did a nice job with it. Didn't need much help - except to master that whip finish.

I figured that might be it... for a while.

Next morning, before my eyes were even half-way open... and long before the first cuppa joe... "Poppy! Can we make another?" Like I needed to be prompted again.

"How about another?" Oh my! "And another?"

Three flies and all before breakfast. Wife finally had to run interference... "Honey, Poppy's in the shower getting ready for Church. We can't tie another one right now."

Cheers!
    John R

Default So, the Next Weekend...

A couple weeks later we had both of the local grandkids spend the weekend. I didn't think much about it. Several weeks before the grandson had gone fishing with me. As noted above, the granddaughter tied some flies. I figured this was about as good as it was gonna get.

But I thought wrong.

"Hey Poppy, can we tie some flies?"

Good thing we got a big (6 foot) table with the fly tying stuff on it. The 9 year-old started in on another Lady's Fish Finder. The 5 year-old needed a bit of help. So, Grandma gave him a hand with some hackle.

Sis' decided to supervise while he tried to keep that pesky thread tight.

It sure does require some intense concentration.

And Poppy helped wrap that last one.

Its warming up around here now. The flowers are starting to bloom. Next thing ya know they'll be wanting to go fishing.

Cheers!
    John R

Had a similar experience myself, not too long ago! Now get a couple of small plastic boxes and a few wood scraps to make a pedistal to put that fly on and save it!
    "They say you forget your troubles on a trout stream, but that's not quite it. What happens is that you begin to see where your troubles fit into the grand scheme of things, and suddenly they're just not such a big deal anymore." - John Gierach

Blog Entries

great post

Eric
    "Complexity is easy; Simplicity is difficult."
    Georgy Shragin
    Designer of ppsh41 sub machine gun

Default common ground

John,

Thanks for sharing your story. It seems that no matter how many miles may separate any and all of us we all seem to share that common ground, again thanks for sharing.

Jeff B

Anderson, South Carolina (Northwest corner of SC) USA

Default May be time to start my grandkids too!

Hi John

I've got an eight-year old who is fascinated by the stuff on my fly tying desk. I'm thinking that it's time to get her started on a few flies too. A couple of woolly buggers may be in her very near future. 8T

John,

Way COOL right there!!!!!!!! Keep em going!!!!!!!

Fatman

+ Reply to Thread