+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Which rod...

Default Which rod...

I want to get a new 3wt rod since ive broken the one i have(Sage TXL 7'10 3wt) going to take a while to repair and am looking to buy another rod. Is it worth while to get a 6'6 or a 7'6? I think i will try an orivis rod this time. Any recommendation?

i use an avid 6' 3wt and really love it for small to med sized stream if i'm planning on only throwing dries. very pin-point accuracy and delicate presentations. i've easily handled 18" fish and would not be afraid of 20+ fish. however trying to fish nymphs or streamers, really takes some work.

If your a Sage fan check out Cabelas they have the FLi on clearencs for $169.00
    Remember we all live down stream

Daz,

You didn't say what type of fishing (stream size, dries or general purpose) but since you're going to repair your TXL you may want to get a different action or length just to have some variety.

A faster action rod may yield some additional utility. I like a fast 8.5' 3 wt as an all around trout rod in small to medium trout waters. I also have a 6.5' 3wt Scot VT2 that I really like as a dry fly rod. The short rod is great for dries out to 35'. It has enough backbone to throw a streamer a moderate distance. It's not long enough to be a good nymphing rod.

If you're looking for a rod that similar to your current rod the Orvis super fine should be similar. If you're just looking for a backup rod for your TXL I'd say to try a Cabelas Three Forks 7.5' 3 wt. It's very inexpensive so you may think it's junk but it has a very loyal following. It has a very nice moderate action. Plus it's a great loaner rod that you won't have to worry about.

For the next 60 secs I would request that we all observe a moment of silence to honor one of the greatest fly fishing tools ever created, the 7'10 3wt TXL............................................... .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ..........
    Daz, would you mind saying a few words about your trusted fishing friend and how the injury occurred?
    My sincerest condolences.
    Mike
    PS: if you can't tell I am a big fan of this model.

i too love the model it broke after a day outing fishing in a small river with 2.5lb+ fish! the river is covered with trees and i wasnt taking enough care needless to say by 3pm it was broken. Need something in the mean time before the rivers close for winter.

The rod will mainly be used for dries and occasionally i might use a nymph, only be used for small to med size streams. Just need a recommendation on if the 6'6" orvis superfine is good or should i go 7'7".

Default bought

got the superfine 7' 4wt! hopefully the post is quick!

I have a Scott G2, 7'7" 3 wt. that I enjoy. It's a great little rod with a smooth medium action. It's a 4 piece that packs well, and like your Sage, it has a lifetime warranty.

John

+ Reply to Thread