+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Spey Question

Default Spey Question

Hi folks,

I'm considering getting a double hand rod and have a question: Do spey lines take up more space on a reel than single hand lines of the same weight? Thanks.

-RC

Uncle Barry Guest

Simple and easy answer,
    yes.

normally you need to go two reel sizes up to match the Spey type line.

Kind regards,
    UB

so if i want to fish an 8wt spey, then I should get a 10wt reel?

Hi RC, Yes Uncle Barry is right you will need a bigger reel, at least 2 sizes bigger.
    You will also find the bigger reel will balance the rod better. I use a cheap (less than $90NZ) BFR Magnum and I find it is just about spot on for my 14ft 8\9\10 wieght. My 9# trout reel will not take even the spey line let alone the backing.
    All the best.
    Mike
    Last edited by Mike Thomas; 03-30-2009 at 01:23 AM.

Smile It's a Different World

RCream -

To elaborate on what Barry said - spey lines are typically considerably larger diameter and higher weight for a stated line weight than typical single hand rod lines of the same weight designation, and they are longer than most single hand rod lines.

In other words, an 8 wt spey line ( more likely designated an 8/9/10 in the world of spey, as I recall from my experience going through this about a year ago ) is a totally different animal than an 8 wt for a single hand rod. And it is probably 120' long compared to a usual 90' length for the single hand rod line.

I suggest several things.

First, go to the Rio Products website and look at all the stuff they have on the subject of spey lines. Lots of good information there that will help you determine what kind of line you will want for the rod you have or are getting, and help you understand the difference between two hand rod lines and single hand rod lines.

Second, go the Elkhorn Fly Rod website and look at their selection of reels, specifically their spey reels. Also, you can get their phone number from the website. Talk to Brian. He's very helpful and will steer you in the right direction. If you haven't gotten a spey rod yet, you might consider Elkhorn as a possibility. The one I had was really a nice rod.

Elkhorn, by the way, doesn't do that unconditional unlimited lifetime warranty thing. Let's them sell a really good rod for a lot less than the guys who do that warranty thing. Last time I talked to Brian, he was thinking about rewriting Elkhorn's warranty - to make it more of a guaranteed low cost repair / replacement policy.

Third, go to the website for the RedShed up in northern Idaho. Get the phone number and talk to Poppy. He's one of the most knowledgeable people around when it comes to two hand / spey rods, and seems to have time for anyone who needs his help. That's not just my impression from my dealing with him, but the word from any number of folks I know who have dealt with him.

If you can get your hands on Simon Gawesworth's book "Spey Casting" you can get a great look into the world of spey. The content is excellent and the writing is outstanding.

Finally, there is a website devoted to spey - www.speypages.com. Lots of good stuff there.

John
    The fish are always right.

check out the Red Shed Fly Shop -- they have a web site and they are big into spey casting. Call them and ask them what they recommend At least they can point you in the right direction.

Thanks for all the good advice. Guess I've got a lot more to learn than I thought!

About 2 weeks ago I purchased a 2 handed outfit from Red Shed Fy Shop. Poppy is a great guy and will answer all you questions. The outfit I got was a TFO Deer Creek 5/6 126 (12'6'), Lamson Konic 4, Airflo #20 running line, Airflo Compact Scandi 5/6 360 grain shooting head and Airflo 10' salmon poyleader all for under $550. He threw in Beginning Spey Casting by John and Amy Hazel (excellent video) and a Red Shed hat.

You can also catch Poppy on the SpeyPages along with Meiser, Kinney and other well know 2 handers there. There are some folks here who are very knowledgeable as well. It was through one of them (MontanaMoose) them that I began my quest and found Meiser and Poppy.
    Trout don't speak Latin.

I'll second or third or whatever the nomination of Poppy at the Red Shed ( www.redshedflyshop.com ). VEE and I have purchased all our spey gear except one rod (VEE's Elkhorn 6 wgt 12'6" rod) from Poppy and visit the shop on the way to the Idaho Fish In every year. On the way home from Idaho we catch the Spey Clave Poppy Hosts on the Clearwater River every fall.

If you do nothing else, watch the Red Shed demo video. Poppy's outlook on life is jus great.

REE
    Happiness is wading boots that never have a chance to dry out.

I use a 6/7 Scandi shooting head on my 8-weight LA reel.

Randy

+ Reply to Thread