+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Lower Sacramento

Default Lower Sacramento

How do you describe "epic"? That's what my day was on Lower Sac Wednesday (3/25) with guide RJ (out of Chico). First, I've not been much of a nymph fisherman, even beginning to think it was a myth that anybody could catch anything substantial on those little subsurface bugs. I'm now a total believer.

RJ set me up right, showed me a whole new way to cast and drift, and it was game on. First fish to the boat was a fat and sassy 20-inch 'bow.

It didn't stop the rest of the day. Normally, I'd figure a really good day would mean 9 or 10 fish, but when all was said and done, I had 32 fish to the boat with a half-dozen or so where I missed the hook set or were LDR'd. I'm still shaking my head days later.

Yeah, it was a long day, heading out of Sacto at 4:45, in the water by 8:30-ish, back to the car by 5:30-ish, and on my way back to Sacto close to 6:00. I got home around 9:00 and was still pumped. I'd do it all again in a heartbeat.

For a guy who's relatively new to fly-fishing, with pretty much dry-fly in the Sierras kinds of experiences, this rocked my world. Wow. A big thanks to RJ, and boy am I glad I live so close to some of the best trout fishing ever.

John

Very cool! I live in Washington and started fly fishing at 12, I moved to Sacramento after I graduated high school to go to UTI for becoming an automotive technician. Unfortunately the later of my years in high school were so consumed by friends, cars, and A girl (still) that I somewhat dropped out of the whole fly fishing scene. I'm back in Washington now that I graduated and back into it, but seeing posts like this really makes me wish I had kept up with fly fishing while I was living in Sacramento.

Jon

Thumbs up

John,
    Thank you for your great report! Hiring a good teaching Guide is the best way to expand your fly fishing knowledge.
    Doug
    Enjoying the joys of others and suffering with them- these are the best guides for man. A.E.

ffb, I know what you mean. I've lived in Sac since '82 and getting up to Redding area this last week was a first for me. I was blown away, not just by the fishing, but by the Trinity mountains, Lassen and Shasta. I'm definitely headed up there again.

And DShock, I was really, really, glad that I went with a knowledgeable guide. RJ showed me a LOT, including stopping and anchoring at some prime areas to help me learn how to fish when I'm wading and not in a boat. Plus, the knowledge I gained about nymph fishing and rigging was invaluable. Definitely an "epic" day.

John

John -

Good looking fish. Sounds like a great day of catching and a real learning experience which you can translate to other streams and rivers when the opportunity arises.

Look forward to future posts on other places you fish down in your neck of the woods.

John
    The fish are always right.

Default Shasta, Lower Sac, Upper Sac etc.

Hello jburge, nice to hear from someone
    that had a great trip down in my old neck
    of the woods. If you make your way up to
    Dunsmuir area, give me a shout and if the
    timing is right I'll show you some water
    around Box Canyon that few bother to fish.

Cheers,

MontanaMoose

Moose, You can count on it. That neck of the woods is spectacular. I guess you know you're entering real "fly" country when there's a billboard for a flyshop on the interstate Thanks, I'll let you know.

John

Default Fly shop sign

You must mean 'The Fly Shop' down Anderson
    way. I've spent some pretty good time and money in there. Great bunch too. I'm actually
    sitting here looking at some cork rings for making flyrod grips that I picked up from them
    back when.

I'll keep watch for when you're going to head
    north again jburge, till then, hook 'em up and...

Cheers,

MontanaMoose

+ Reply to Thread