+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Travel bag

Default Travel bag

I have been tying at our local TU tying get togethers and tie often at a friends house and plan on making some of the demonstration tying events in the near future. I am using a Plano 826 Workstation like the enclosed picture now and while it has the room it isn't the best for traveling.

I'm considering three other options.

FishPond Coyote - big bag which will hold the kitchen sink http://www.fishpondusa.com/coyote.cfm

FishPond Road Trip - Smaller bag http://www.fishpondusa.com/roadtrip.cfm

BW Sorts Fly Tying Utility Bag - good price http://www.fishwest.net/Merchant2/me...e_Code=flyshop

So who is using any of the above product and would you buy it again or something different. Thanks for helping me spend my money.

Rick
    Attached Images Attached Images

I like the tug-along that you use the most.

I went down a very long road searching for the best tying bag. I used to travel for a living and tied many nights in hotel rooms. I tried bags, boxes, tug-alongs, and finally settled on a $20 WalMart purchased Plano soft tackle bag. It came with four zip-up bags that each have "baggie like" containers on ring binders inside of it.

Honestly, it's been the best tying bag I could have ever found. It has one large main compartment and two on the side and holds a ton of tying material.

I carry my vise and tools in an old computer-tool-kit zip up bag that I had laying around and all my tools are in one place and protected.

There are lots of threads on travel tying kits on this bbs - check them out.
    "Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday." John Wayne.

"When you know, to know that you know, and when you do not know, to know that you do not know - that is true knowledge..." Charlie Chan (author Earl Derr Biggers ...Behind That Curtain 192.

I use a salt water tackle bag I found on e-bay many years ago that looks something like these.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I have the BW Sports model and like it. It can hold a surprising amount of materials. Even with all its bags full you can fit a lot more in there. I don't care for the spool holder. I have some tyer's tubes for that. The interior bags are just heavy duty plastic bags with zip-lock closures. I'm sure eventually the closures will fail but so far so good. I feel it is a good value.

The only problem that I have been having with the pull along is that when it goes in the vehicle I lay it down on it's back. Since it have drawers in it, some of those things get all out of place or even fall down between one drawer and the next. The idea of the Coyote or any of the other bags is that things come in a zip lock style of compartment and where you put stuff it will be there when you open it up even if you bounce it around for a trip. So that is what is motivating me to make a change.

I use the soft sided bag that my cordless drill came in (Ridgid brand). It has an anvil type mouth that opens all of the way up, so I can cram as much stuff as I need in it. It also has several pockets on the inside, as well as, the outside (hardly ever use the exterior pockets though).
    I keep all of my hooks, eyes, beads etc in the spirit river pro 20 boxes and it can hold 4 of those without a problem. I have a custom clamp for my traveler vise as well as numerous attachments including a light. All of that fits in there as well as enough materials to tye a handful of different patterns. I do a fair amount of demo tying at shows and other venues, so I 'm only tying 2-3 patterns at any given outing and I seem to be able to carry everything that I need. If I don't have it in the bay it's because I forgot to pack it not because it didn't fit.

Hope this helps,

Kevin

My wife has the Coyote from Fish-Pond and loved it, until she outgrew it. We both now use large carry-on type suitcases with telescoping handles and wheels. I can pack all my materials, vise, light, and extension cord into mine and still have some room.

REE
    Happiness is wading boots that never have a chance to dry out.

Lightbulb Lots or little...

Clay,

My next purchase will be the Fishpond Coyote.

I tie entirely for inland trout and steelhead. My own situation is that I need to carry "some" of all kinds of materials, as I do many demos, teach in others' homes, and am always being asked by my buddies to tie some of this or some of that whilst we're on a trip. My vise, tying tools, necks, hooks (in 24-compartment plastic hook boxes) and lighting go into a softsided briefcase - - kinda like this. I have a discontinued Plano double-sided tackle box Model 1468 for all tying materials. It's alot like the Plano #1120-00 DOUBLE SIDED SATCHEL, but wider and longer. So, I carry alot, but in only two items. At home, I just open 'em up and start tyin'...

Now--one of my buddies is in much the same situation as me...needs to carry a large assortment of hooks and materials, and ties in many types of situations. He had something like what you have... He hated it. So, he bought the Fishpond Coyote. I've gotten a good, closeup look at it, all stocked up and ready to go. I think my "system" is really good, but the Coyote is even better. Pricey, but a great solution for my situation... IMHO.
    Whether you think you can, or think you cannot, you're probably right.
    --Author unknown

Normand Guest

hutjensmpg Guest

I have the FishPond Road Trip and love it - it looks small, but it holds a lot of stuff.

BUT, I don't get into production tying on the road. I usually don't take whole amounts of anything, but rather have put smaller amounts of just about everything I have in there. I could easily get double that in there as the bag isn't even close to being full. Mostly I have it so that if I use up the 'hot' fly or need the fly I think will work, but in a different size I can tie up a dozen or so.

One caution, my main vise is a Regal and it doesn't fit in the padded vise bag too well because of the offset handle to open the jaws. So I bought a Griffin for a 'travel' vise that suffices well for just a dozen or so flies at a time, but fits perfectly well into the padded bag.

+ Reply to Thread