+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rio Ranco, NM vs Atlanta, GA

Question Rio Rancho, NM vs Atlanta, GA

I may/will be force to re-locate in order to keep my current job. I currently live in the Sacramento California area and have many types of fishing opportunities in easy driving distance. I will have one child with us who will be starting high school. I prefer cold water trout fishing but my son likes all types of fishing. I have only been to Atlanta once and have never been to NM. Looking for any advice or information that may be useful to me in making my decision. I appreciate any feedback you can offer.

Regards,

Jet
    Last edited by Jet369; 03-26-2009 at 06:01 PM. Reason: Spelling
    "The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of that which is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope" - unknown author

Public schools should be good that near Sandia National Labs.

Not far to wonderful Rocky Mountain trout fisheries.

I've lived in nearby Santa Fe, it is wonderful, but exceedingly yuppie. Great Mexican food - posole is my favorite. Much spicer than California Mexican food.

I've visited Atlanta, and care not to do it very often.

My inlaws live in south GA and we drive through Atlanta about 3 or 4 times a year to visit. That means we drive through Atlanta about 3 or 4 times a year to many for me. There is some trout fishing in north GA, but the minerals in the soil are wrong and they have a hard time stocking. At least that is my understanding, I am no expert maybe someone else can help you with that. That is my 2 cents worth anyway.

good luck to you and your family,
    hNt
    "If we lie to the government, it's called a felony, when they lie to us, it's called politics." Bill Murray

I live in Atlanta and there are plenty of fishing opportunities. A tailwater flows right through town. There is another tailwater maybe two hours drive and plenty of freestone streams in the mountains 1 to 2 hours away- some stocked, some wild. Google up a forum North Georiga Trout Online.
    School quality depends on where you live. You probably want to be on the north side. No idea about NM.

Wink I vote for NM

The Traffic in Alanta is awful. You have to drive to the Mountians to fish. Alot of the good fishing is private,so you have to pay.

New Mexico offers the High Plains Desert,alot less HUMID Climate then Alanta! You have some great trout Rivers and Lakes 1-3 Hours away. You will have to pay when you fish on the Indian Res.

Fishin' Jimmy

A lot of my family has moved into Atlanta at various times (brother in law, sister, aunts, etc.). Almost all of them have immediately tried to get out. It is a beautiful city but incredibly crowded, hot, humid, and has some VERY dangerous areas. The fishing outside the city is very good, but I wouldnt move there. If you can live outside the city, thats the place to go, but if you are looking to live close to work, move to NM.

And as far as NM Indian Res fishing goes, I know that here in Montana the res's can be pretty touchy about who comes on, when, and for how long so be careful with that.

Like JohnLL said, the Chattahoochee is stuffed with trout. It also has a native shoal bass population plus stripers, white bass, yellow perch, catfish, and carp. North Georgia has some nice public streams. A lot of the private waters are pellet-fed aquarium fish, anyway.

Warm water fishing opportunites are just awesome. Our big Georgia bluegills, shellcrackers and bass will put a smile on your face.

Atlanta is a big FF town with several nice shops, including The Fish Hawk which is a GREAT fly shop.

Western Portal Sequoia National Forest & the G.T.W., Kern River, CA.

Cool

Jet, the summers in New Mexico are a lot more like they are here in our valley than they are in Atlanta. If it were me, there would be no question, I'll take the openess of the desert southwest and the mountains every time. I think after you get a chance to put in some time on the San Juan and venture on up into Colorado, you may find that the way of life there is a closer match to what you have here. Or maybe how it is, just a bit further up the hill.

Best, Dave

Last edited by Dave E; 09-08-2011 at 04:26 PM.

Thanks for all the replys. I was leaning towards Rio Ranco but have not ruled out Atlanta. The area I would work in Atlanta is Alpharetta. Either choice I make will require more driving to get to some quality fishing. Schools are an important part of the decision.

Thanks,

Jet
    "The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of that which is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope" - unknown author

Quote Originally Posted by Jet369 View Post
    The area I would work in Atlanta is Alpharetta.

Apharetta is a northern suburb -- very nice area and close to the Hooch.

+ Reply to Thread