+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Swing weight between a 10' and 9' rod??

Default Swing weight between a 10' and 9' rod??

Is there a noticeable difference between casting a 10ft rod vs 9ft rod?
    Ie Do you feel the weight difference, especially over the course of a fishing day?

We have a 10' 5wt around here that gets a LOT of use and we really, really like this one. We handled a 10' 8wt and decided we did not "need" that one. We have a 10' 6wt of inexpensive origin that tires us to use for a day. Sooooo, we ain't sure if it is because of the expense or because of the weight, but the expensive 5wt is the only one of the three we like.
    If you have a reason for useing a 10'er, try'em at a show. It is not always the case, but for us the expense seemed necessary in this instance for the aquisition of satisfaction.
    ....lee s.

Oh yeah, my 10' 7wt feels heavier than my 9' 8wt at the end of a long day. I haven't cast an 8 1/2 but they seem much lighter than a 9' as well.

But it's just a matter of conditioning and eventually you'll get used to it. Strength training helps

I'll agree as well. I've got a 10' 5wt that I love as a fishing tool, but it is definitely more work than a 9' rod. I have a 8'8" 9wt that I think is easier on my wrist than that 10' 5wt is, although I am generally making very different casts with those two rods. (pushing vs. swinging)

I would definitely try before you buy in this case.

I gave up on my 10' and sold it on eBay sometime back. I had the idea the ten footer would work better sitting down in the canoe. I'm of the opinion that some rods simply do not fit me and my style, PERIOD. I handle my nine footers real well and cast just as far, or further, sitting down in the canoe, than I ever did the ten. My flyrod "length range" is from 7 1/2 to 9, with all slots filled in-between and this is what has worked for me based on experience.

Dale

I have fished several 10' rods and for the most part think they are unnessary for 90 percent of the fishing most poeple do. I do not own one I just don't care for that length of rod as I feel it beat's a person to much over a days fishing. I have one 9 1/2 foot 8wgt that I use now and then in Saltwater all the rest of my rods are no longer than 9' and I do not feel that I am at any disadvantage at all. Ron

+ Reply to Thread