+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The off season

Default The off season

I think one of the best things to do in the winter months when the fist arn't biting is to focus on your fly tying skills.
    I like to escape to the gorage turn on some classical music and start tying. To me making flies is almoast as relaxing as fishing it's self. I'm curious to hear hear other peoples flytying stories. Advice,comments, what ever...What do you do in the "off season"

This year I am trying to not have an off season and keep fishing, but I have all my tying stuff set up and have been tying while watching football this fall. I am also going to try rod building this winter, just got my blank delivered today in fact. Should be a fun winter.

tnflyman;
    My season is done so it's tying and rod building for me. Planning next years trips takes up some time also.

Blog Entries

Flytying , trying to get a warm enough day to improve my casting . I spend an extraordinary amount of time trying to hide the honey-do jar from the wife. I try to spent at least an hour a day playing catch with the dog. I watch my tropical fish for at least an hour every evening wishing they were about 18 inches longer and hungry .
    I try not to think of how long it is till spring . (its just 157 sleeps till ice off )
    In 19 minutes it will be just 156 days till spring .
    For God's sake, Don't Quote me! I'm Probably making this crap up!

Jack....One of those trips you're planning better be to Canton, Ohio....you have "honorary nieces & a nephew to meet & I'll put you on a couple (or few) GREAT ponds & some pretty decent streams!

Gnu Bee....The older WE get, the shorter 156 days get!...it's all relative...when we were 5 years old & waiting for Santa, a year was 20% of our lifetime as we knew it....now it's less than 2% (I'll be 59 soon)!!!
    Mike

------------------
    This site's about sharing!
    FAOL..All about caring, sharing, & good friends!!

Fortunately for us, there is no off-season.....fishing that is. Fortunately there IS the off-season workwise. Elsewise we would be REAL hard-pressed to get enough flies tied to exercise fish all year.
    There is a general trout season, then there's trout water that is open all year, then there's steelheads, then there's stripers, then there's shad, then there's halibut, then there's albies, then there's, LM's, then there's BG's, then there's......well you get the idea.
    Thankfully we do not experience "hard water" in our local.
    ....lee s.

[This message has been edited by lee s (edited 23 November 2005).]

tnflylman, RW here

Tie flies at home, tie flies at shows, go to state IF&W meetings, serve on committees, secretary of my fishing club, go to and help plan club events, host here on FAOL three times a week, and I've written an outdoor column for newspapers and magazines for over 35 years. There really is no "off" season for me. Shouldn't I be winding down by now? Or maybe I'll write a book...who knows? My son can illustrate it. Yeah..Yeah..that's what I'll do..write a book. Really! I will! Someday...........

Later, RW

------------------
    "We fish for pleasure; I for mine, you for yours." -James Leisenring on fishing the wet fly-
    "The value of trout is simply that they exist" <Frank Weisbarth>

I spend most of my time in the off season tying. Searun trout season opens in february but the kind of cold here is a damp cold and it just hits the bones.

Ummm .. there's an off season?!?

------------------
    Trouts don't live in ugly places
    Trouts don't live in ugly places.

A friend is not who knows you the longest, but the one who came and never left your side.

Don't look back, we ain't goin' that way.

What off season?

I tie year round and fish year round. It's just that I'm more comfortable in the summer wet wading than I am in waders in the winter.

+ Reply to Thread