+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Looking for opinion on waders

Default Looking for opinion on waders

Well, after 10 years of fishing, my non-breathable boot foot waders are leaking like a sieve, which is going to make spring salmon fishing a little bone chilling. I have decided that the new ones are going to be breathable, stocking foot with boots. The reason for this is I am looking for some more support for my feet and legs and something that is not like a sauna all the time, most uncomfortable really but a great way to sweat off weight.

Anyway, the local shops have Simms and Orvis, and I know there are a pile of brands out there but since this is my first foray into this part of fishing, I thought I would look there first, then go from there if necessary.

Couple questions:

1. Is there any advantage of Gortex versus Quadralam and vice-versa?
    2. For boots, to provide more support, something up over the ankle would be better? or worse?
    3. Felts or spikes or a combination?

Way to many options, thanks in advance for the opinions,

Dwight

Coincidentally enough, I had to recently buy a new pair of boots because I lost a sole off my old pair last fall on the Miramichi.

I went with the simms freestone with the studded felt soles. They come up over the ankle and provide really good support. They're easy to get on and off, and the studded felt provides great traction.

Just my .02.

gutbomb, thanks, where were you fishing on the Miramichi? I do all my Atlantic Salmon fishing on the Miramichi, landed 2 nice Grilse last July the same week.

Dwight

DBenner,

Got no opinion on waders really. It's not a question of will they leak, but when will they leak.

Boots are another story entirely. I've been wearing Chotas for a couple three years now. They offer great ankle support, polypro felt soles with removable studs, and they are the most comfortable, lightest boots I've ever owned. When I manage to wear these out, I will replace them with another pair of Chotas.

REE
    Happiness is wading boots that never have a chance to dry out.

DBenner;
    I'll also go with the Chota boots. Get them one size too big to have room for extra socks.

Whatever waders you decide on make sure the fit is ok. You should be able to lift your leg high enough to put your foot on the seat of a kitchen chair.

We were near Blackville. I was there not long after the hurricane and the river was high. Didn't catch anything, but got alot of work in on my casting.

Bear in mind that felt soles will soon be band to limit the spread of didymous. Consider what's out in the market now pertaining to shoes

Quote Originally Posted by fritz View Post
    Bear in mind that felt soles will soon be band to limit the spread of didymous. Consider what's out in the market now pertaining to shoes
    Simms has already started phasing out felt. I am pretty sure that 2009 is the last year anything out of simms will have it. Simms and patagonia at least have boots that they say can equal the traction of felt with a rubber sole. I can vouch for the simms boots, but patagonias have been outside my reach. I am pretty sure chota has some too. Definitely check around for a pair of GOOD rubber soled boots, if you can find a guide or a trusted fly shop worker to ask that would be best.

Gore-Tex has some advantages over the competition in that it is a bit more time tested, slightly more rugged, and in general is the "gold standard" against which all other gore-tex like fabrics are judged. That being said, there isnt a huge difference. But I know that I have a pair of reddington breathables that failed me after about two-three months (about 15-116 outings). My simms gore-tex havent failed me yet after two years.

The fit though is VERY important. if you cant lift your leg/squat comfortably, then size up, no matter what your pride says. I started with a large pair and when I finally stopped being so proud of my physique (dont judge me) I sized up.

Geoff

Thumbs up Simms

Can't speak to Orvis because I started with Simms and am still with them.

The first pair of breathable waders I bought was the low end model of Simms at the time, around $200 as I recall. That was about five years ago. I still have them and use them, in warmer weather. That pair has well over 300 days on them and they are still serviceable. Any leakage is minor.

The second pair of Simms was a step up. Believe they retailed for about $325 when I bought them not quite two years ago, although I got a better price on a close out. The new version of that pair had built in gravel guards, and that was the reason for the close out. The newer pair probably has somewhere around 175 to 200 days on them.

Both pairs have developed minor leaks, mostly from the beating around I do in brush and other foliage. The newer pair did develop a leak on a seam, which Simms repaired at no cost and quite quickly.

I don't recall the exact cost, but I did send the waders back to Simms to be "refreshed." Any little leaks were repaired, the waders were thoroughly cleaned, and the waterproofing was renewed. Didn't look like new, but surely worked like new.

Simms might seem a bit pricey on the go in. But you get what you pay for. It will be a while before I need to buy waders again, but there is no question what brand I will be buying.

John
    Last edited by JohnScott; 03-18-2009 at 01:56 AM.
    The fish are always right.

The guys may well be right about the banning of felt soles. Chota has a new sticky rubber sole that will also accept studs.
    Happiness is wading boots that never have a chance to dry out.

+ Reply to Thread