+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jc's Using Release tools

Smile Jc's Using Release tools

In Oklahoma most of the trout fishing is below reservoirs in tailwaters. The waters are consistantly cold, so we can play the fish until they are resonably calm withi out indangering the fish. My fishing buddies and i fish for trout in cooler weather from late September through March primarly to miss the crowds.
    In freezing weather I am not real thrilled about getting my hands or fingerless gloves wet so I use 5 inch forceps to release fish. I need the forceps to get flies out of my box and to hold the fly while tieing it on anyway. There are two minor drawbacks to the forceps
    first sometimes the fish isn't as whipped as I have judged it to be and the forceps slip up onto the flies body which shortens the fly's life, and second most of the trout splash water on take off which to this point and the forceps are just long enough to miss the bulk of it.
    We fish barbless flies for safety and ease of release
    What do you use? Is it woth it to carry an extra tool?

nighthawk Guest

Short answer is yes. That's my opinion only though.

Thumbs up

Ok,
    I agree with Nighthawk. I carry a "Ketchum-release" tool. It's easy to use, small, and helps ease the release so the fish isn't harmed. Best Regards....
    Exploring the waters of western Montana...

Quote Originally Posted by Joel D. Popham View Post
    . I carry a "Ketchum-release" tool. It's easy to use, small, and helps ease the release so the fish isn't harmed. ....
    Normally, I'm not one for gadgets, but I really like my Ketchum-release.
    Very often there's no need to even touch the fish and they don't destroy flies like forceps .
    I believe Dr Slick makes similar tool in a forceps combo

Yup
    Like this
    Last edited by dudley; 03-16-2009 at 06:02 PM.
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements.
    --- Horace Kephart

Quote Originally Posted by dudley View Post
    I believe Dr Slick makes similar tool in a forceps combo
    Tried the Dr. Slick tool and it is not as useful as the Ketchum tool, in my experience. The larger slot in the loop makes it much more difficult to handle. YMMV.

nighthawk Guest

I want to get a Ketchum Release. Right now I am using my hemostats, multi-tool and or disgorger.

Thanks for the advice guys. I recently talked to Ohiotuber and he liked the Ketchum as well. He recommended it too.

I didn't like the Ketchum Release...Don't work worth a hoot on the small fish I catch..I ended up holding the poor little fish up with the thing and trying to shake it loose....not pretty.

I finally went to a Boga style fish grabber thingy...it 'locks' onto the fish's lower lip...I can lift the fish easily, use forceps to get the fly out, and submerge it fully to release it, all without having to either get my hands wet or touch that slimy icky fish! It works on the little ones AND the few over 10 inches I manage to hook....

Better for the fish, too....faster, surer fish handling, and did I mention no fish slime on your hands?

Buddy
    It Just Doesn't Matter....

Default How to?

Folks I know swear by the Ketchum.
    As far as I have been able to figure out, you need three hands to use it. One for the line, one for the tool and one for the fish (or the rod)...oh, that's four hands. It absolutely won't work on poppers (or maybe I haven't figure that out either) and it's no good on flies larger than about a 10 (at least the model I have).
    I would really like to see someone successfully using the tool.

Blog Entries

I have a very special "release tool", too much slack in the line when I am playing the fish. Works like a charm.

Ed

Blog Entries

Cool

Some of the things mentioned in JC's article are right on.....one thing not mentioned is having a fish at hand and ready to release and the rod in the wrong position when that suppossedly tired fish deceides to make one more run ...just for the hell of it..... What is heard then is "Snap"...........it happened to me with a bigger fish last year,,,,,,so be aware.

+ Reply to Thread