+ Reply to Thread

Thread: First one

Default First one

Hello everyone, this one si my very first try at tying a salmon fly, hope you like it, any comments are welcome
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries

Really cool fly!!! If youre starting to tie Classic Salmon Flies, a great site to visit is www.classicflytying.com alot of the best tiers are there and they can give you some great advise

It's pretty difficult to critique a freestyle fly, but since you said comments are welcome i'll give you a few of my personal opinions.

i really like youre choice of feathers for the wings, though you'll want to make sure they are sized exactly (i.e you can't see any of the feather on one side of the fly peeking underneath or over the feather in the other side.

you did a great job of keeping the head small (this is probably one of the most difficult things to do). you'll just want to make sure its a little shorter. in general, the smaller the head the better.

The tag appears to be kind of messy, though its hard to tell from the picture. you'll want to make sure all the body segments flow smoothly and evenly.

But great job on this one!!! my first try wasn't even close to as good as this one. but keep practising and you will improve pretty quick.

i would also suggest instead of starting of with free styles, looking up some established patterns and practicing on them untill you learn the ropes.

DD, thanks alot for your comments, guess it is the only way to improve our tying, I'll take them inot account when tying my next one and I'll visit the site you recomended

+ Reply to Thread