+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Fishing views

Default Fishing views

Just wondering how many ,and who all share my opinion on this 'subject'. I am always reading articles in flyfishing magazines about the joys and pleasures of exotic fishing trips, and it always seems like the 'greatest destinations in the world are always the hot topic. It all sounds great, but it kind of makes me feel a little insecure. I mean most of my fishing spots are twenty or thirty minutes away. But to me they are great places. it just seems like some of the simple joys of fishing are over looked sometimes. I enjoy "small time fishing" I would like to hear any thoughts on the subject if any one has anything to add.

Hey there tnflyman , I share your thoughts on this subject. I, like you, feel absolutely NO need to do New Zealand, South America or any other exotic(?) place. I can't say that my favorite places are "minutes" away but they're right here in the good ole USA. I could probably afford to travel to those places but I'd rather fish here and leave the fruits of some of my labors to my grandkids.

Mark

------------------
    I'd rather be in Wyoming!

Paradise is a nice place to visit but I wouldn't want to live there. I'll take my home waters 99% of the time.

There's too much to know and to learn about my "homewaters" to worry about an exotic trip. However....I wouldn't turn a trip down and hopefully will be heading to Alaska the summer of 07.

Mike

------------------
    There is no greater fan of flyfishing than the worm.

Patrick McManus

I paruse those articles with mixed emotions as well...I soupposedly spent the last 1 3/4yrs. in what some say to be some the finest fishing areas in the east...and hardly wet a line...mostly out of frustration....not knowing the area.. and such..for this old Penciltucky boy...the big city was a bit....shall we say overwelming....I'm more appreative of what I have right here in Central PA now...not that I won't travel back up NY way someday to my uncles camp on the Salmon River...to see what I might do to make my "Salmon Dream" a reality...Theres alot to be said for Home waters....I had the rod I bought quite a while back there with me...just did'nt get in any fishing....I do regret that....

------------------
    "I've often wondered why it is that so many anglers spend so much money on,and pay so much attention to.the details on the wrong end of the fly line.If they took as much care in selecting or tying their flies as they did in the selection of the reel and rod,They might be able to gain the real extra edge that makes it possible to fool a fish that has,in fact,seen it all before" A.K.Best

Everyone wants to excel in this sport but at the same time we let traditionalists place restrictions on our tactics, methods, and ideas. I always assumed that fly fishing was a sport that allowed imagination, creation, adaptation, investigation, dedication, education, revelation? : Fox Statler, On Spinners (Not the dainty Dry Fly kind) "Spinner'd Minner Fly"

"Wish ya great fishing"

Bill
    Wish ya great fishing,Bill

I do not have the urge to fish out of my country nor do I have the money to do it if I did have the urge. I would like to fish Montana and other places West and if I get the chance and can afford it, I will make the trip. Right now, I have 2 rivers within 20 miles of my home and they have trout, bass, black perch, bluegill, etc. I enjoy them very much. Have you ever wondered if the people in the "exotic" countries have flyfishing magazine articles about flyfishing in the good old USA?! Maybe we do live and fish in an "exotic" location and no one has told us yet! Just food for thought..

------------------
    Warren
    Warren
    Fly fishing and fly tying are two things that I do, and when I am doing them, they are the only 2 things I think about. They clear my mind.

Blog Entries

I was perusing one of the stories in a well known magazine . The article was called High country fishing or something like that . I continued reading about this wonderful paradise with awesome fishing , Plenty of lakes to fish in with lots of solitude . The locals were open friendly people , there were wonderful sandy beaches , long hot lazy summers with all round awesome weather . On one of the pages they showed a small lake with a FFisher standing in a small boat making his cast . To my suprise I recognised the lake He was on . I live less than 1 hour drive from that lake . I had not recognised the location from the glowing description the author was giving till I saw the that picture . At the end of the story it described the nearby towns and citys naming My home town as baing the hub of this wonderful place . I went back and re read the story paying more attention now . It was my home territory painted in such glowing terms that I had not noticed . The descriptions were accurate , this place is a paradise . Sometimes you just don't think of your own home in that light .
    Having said that , knowing that I really do live in paradise . I still want to fish the Pirate infested florida flats .
    For God's sake, Don't Quote me! I'm Probably making this crap up!

HOORAAH TYFLIER I'm with you my home waters are paradise I know every blow down,sweeper
    submerged rock,cut bank,deep hole and riffle
    for a full mile of river that no other fisher gets to unless willing to walk 3/4 of a mile of river or is smart enough to ask me
    or our neighbor who owns the other side of the river.with out leaving my property I can fish a river a pond and a small stream and with any luck and some permission from the Soil conservation service and DNRC. I will get to develop a spring fed pond next year
    that will be in the middle of my future orchard area.

------------------
    I have never met a man I didn't like.
    will rogers.
    will rogers never met you did he.
    hawkeye pierce on mash
    We all know the area code for heaven is 406

If I had the money, and that's a mighty big if, I would love to fish Australia, New Zealand and Chile, just for the experience. Since I will probably never have the ready cash to make such a trip I'll be more than satisfied with my home waters and the glorious fish that reside there.

Call it paradise and kiss it goodbye.

REE

Tyflyer, I am with you all the way!!! Of course it is easy for me to say, I live in Alaska! The only complaint here is the relatively short seasons. You just "have to make hay when the sun shines," as the saying goes. Alaska is so vast and diverse that practically every kind of fishing imaginable is possible at some point. This year, I had a couple of men from Minnesota working on their tans while fishing for salmon(truthfully, mid 80's is too warm for me!). So, I have all the paradise I can handle and then some right here in my back yard!

+ Reply to Thread