+ Reply to Thread

Thread: McFly's Mickey Finn Clouser

Default McFly's Mickey Finn Clouser

as you all know I am obsessed with clousers. I have lots of colors and have been very successful using them for steelhead and smallmouth. caught gills and carp with them also. anyways. here I am at it again! this time I took the original mickey finn pattern but incorporated it into a clouser style so i can use a floating line but still get it deeper down for steelhead. what ya guys think? used size 8 streamer hook, yellow and red bucktail, silver tinsel and silver bead chain eyes with black thread. made a few up. heres one
    Attached Images Attached Images
    God Put Fly Fishing Here For You And Me! Take Advantage Man! Take Advantage!
    AKA GeorgeMcFly

I'm a big fan of Mickey Finn's. Like you I like'em for many species. I think they are a particularly effective fly in stained water for Small Mouth. Looking at what you did, I'd say you have a winner. Nice tie, well done. Now go catch some fish with it!
    Joe Bertolini

i have never tried a mickey finn yet to date. i am fairly new. only 2 years in and just discoverd streamers about a year ago. heard guys talk about catching steelies and smallies with mickey finns tho. have had luck with a white/red clouser tho. also many other colors including olive/white, orange/brown, olive/pink and white, all black and chart/white. other colors like blue/white, grey/white and all white work too! gonna try a black nose dace type clousers next I think.
    God Put Fly Fishing Here For You And Me! Take Advantage Man! Take Advantage!
    AKA GeorgeMcFly

Fish,

You are going to love that fly for smallies. I tie something similar and on certain days that color combo is tops.

Mike

Hi Fishaholic69,

Very nice!

Regard,

Gandolf

Blog Entries

fishaholic, thanks for posting this fly. I have caught several varieties of fish on a Mickey Finn myself. I want to tie some Mickey Finn Clousers now. Great idea! I love a Mickey Finn and sometimes they catch a fish when nothing else is working. This is a fairly old pattern, and worth it to tie a few.

+ Reply to Thread