+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Spiders anyone?

Default Spiders anyone?

I recently read a recipe for realistic spider fly patterns. I have never used a spider pattern, never seen one used but am intrigued...

Anyone tied any great spiders and successfully fished them for trout? What kind of presentations?

It makes sense to me when I think about spiders "bungee jumping" over the water, and a hungry trout taking notice???????

I used a spider a few times...

VEE tied it up for me.. and tomorrow (If I can get the scanner setup.. I will post a few picture... but yes they do work!!

Can't say what a Spider -fly does for a Trout but this weekend I caught Bass, Crappie and Bluegill all on the same spider in the same pond I was fishing for an hour after work friday.

Whereabouts in AK are you located? I travel to Prince of Wales Island every fall late Sept. for the Coho run. We fly into Ketchikan and floatplane over to Craig or Hollis then fish in the Klawock, Harris, Staney Creek and a few other cricks on the island for a week. humpies and chums are still around during that time and are not targeted but end up being incidental catches. The silvers average 10 pounds with the odd 14 pounder now and then. Good run this year and another great one in '07 is projected.

[url=http://imageshack.us:01b1a][/url:01b1a]

------------------
    I fish, therefore I swam.

Blog Entries

Spiders you say . That takes me back to my youth . My sister and I , She was ten I was eleven , bought some flies at the sportshop back when sportshops sold sporting goods not just fancy duds and expensive sneakers . The clerk sold us some spiders probably about size 14 or so as we were targeting Sunfish . He told us to bob them in the water . They worked really well on the sunfish . So we went over the to creek and tried them on some peamouth chub . Just drifting them in the current that worked well and the chub were way bigger than the sunfish . An old boy fishing near us called us over , He pointed out some large trout holding near the bank . (large to us but really only 10 inches long but heck you could eat them )Following his directions we crept on our bellys up to the edge of the stream and slowly lowered the spiders , before they even got to the water a trout would leap and grab them . We had a ball . It seems that lowering them in a jerky slow drop simulated a spider , even the thin mono looked natural . I never used a spider since that day , but your thread brought back memories of my dear sister whom I lost 10 years ago .
    For God's sake, Don't Quote me! I'm Probably making this crap up!

Gnu Bee, sorry to hear about your sister, but glad to be a blessing (lost my sis 4 years ago, so I understand)(By the way, I was privileged to preach at sis's funeral where dad found salvation 1 year almost to the day before he died!!!).

It sure does make sense that fish would not be able to resist a spider, but I haven't seen or heard of any (before now) that has actually used spiders except for the shadowbox. I plan to give it a try next summer (all the spiders are sleeping in Alaska right now).

Featherchucker, I am in Soldotna, on the Kenai Peninsula (50 miles due south of Anchorage). Sounds like Southeast Alaska has been very good to you... We did really good with the Silvers on the Kenai this year, up to 17 pounders...check out the gallery [url=http://www.alaskanfishguides.com/salmon_gallery.htm:fe5a4]www.alaskanfishguides.com/salmon_gallery.htm[/url:fe5a4] on the 5th row down... This was not a pink year, but expect a strong run next (pinks run on even numbered years on the Kenai).

[This message has been edited by alaskanfishguides (edited 21 November 2005).]

I am new enough to this forum that I don't know this young lady, but would be very interested in seeing the spider and maybe a recipe....

I found the other recipie in FlyTyer magazine from the feller that does the realistic tying (I don't remember his name; Graham maybe). It was a very realistic spider (freaked my wife out!!! Haven't figured out if that was good or bad yet...). He uses different weight mono glued together for the legs... It was fairly easy to tie (maybe at the intermediate level). I haven't had the chance to fish it yet... maybe next summer????

Many years ago I tied up some spiders to try out.
    They were made of a pair of dry hackles wound on the hook face to face with the hackle tips cemented together.They were about nickel to quarter size.
    They were made to be skated across the surface with your rod tip held as high as you could get it. Maybe in a bit of a breeze.
    The trout went NUTZ over them.
    Unfortunetly I never hooked a single one of them. The hook point was too close to the hackle tips which acted like a weed guard keeping the fish from ever catching steel.

[This message has been edited by dudley (edited 21 November 2005).]
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements.
    --- Horace Kephart

Here is my first attempt. Not the greatest, but I think it might work????

Thanks,

I see that she hosts Ladie's Night... I'll either have to meet her here or try my best falsetto voice and crash the party???

Hi Alaskan,

That spider of yours looks good to me. Nice body colors. The hardest part for me was learning to tie with almost zero thread tension when wrapping the body of the fly. Compared to that, learning to bend the legs was easy.

You can see my version of the spider at [url=http://reagleelk.photosite.com/REEsandVEEsFlies:63a44]http://reagleelk.photosite.com/REEsandVEEsFlies[/url:63a44]

Don't know what we'd do if we didn't have a subscrition to Fly Tyer magazine.

By the way, the fellows are always welcome on Wednesday evenings. No need to talk in a high voice.

VEE

[This message has been edited by VickiEagleElk (edited 21 November 2005).]
    VEE

+ Reply to Thread