+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Cal Bird Dubbing Tool

Default Cal Bird Dubbing Tool

Can anyone tell me how to use the Cal Bird dubbing tool. I have one, but no instructions on how to position it in the dubbing loop. Is there a tutorial or pictures somewhere I can refer to? Or is there a better dubbing tool out there?

Chugger

Chugger,

Create a dubbing loop like this...

http://www.invictaflies.us/Articles/dubbing_loop.htm

and after you have added the material in the loop just grab the end of the loop with the shepard's crook end of the Cal Byrd and twist...then when it's as tight as you want it....keep tension and let the thread slide to the little "kinked" part of the crook and wrap on the shaft.

That's probably as clear as mud. I'm sure if you google you'll find examples though maybe not of the Cal Byrd .

Dubbing loop twisters are a personal choice and come in many forms . The Cal Byrd is a good one . I put and egg type lead sinker on the end of mine to give it more weight....it makes twisting easier.
    Last edited by ducksterman; 03-09-2009 at 03:29 AM.

From the pictures it's just a shepard's hook with a bend in it. Slip the hook into the loop and use the handle to spin the loop to the tightness you want. I believe the extra kink in the "hook" is so you can flip the tool on it side and use a rotary vise to wrap the loop on the hook shank without fear of the loop slipping off a small shepard's hook.

I prefer a dubbing loop tool that spins on ball bearings and has interchangeable "hooks". I use a pedestal vise so dangling a long tool under the vise to spin a loop is out of the question.

I used a standard crochet hook as a dubbing loop tool for years and have used a paper clip several times.

Try Googling the Cl Bird tool. Lots of stuff there.
    Happiness is wading boots that never have a chance to dry out.

I think the others pretty much covered it.

1. Form a loop in the thread.
    2. Hook the tool in end of the loop.
    3. Insert dubbing in the loop.
    4. With the tool in a straight line with the loop, hold it tight and twist it.
    5. Reposition the tool so it's 90 degrees to the twisted loop and let the loop slide into the V on the tool.
    6. Wrap.

Thanks guys! Think I got it.

Chugger

I have a Dyna King "whirler" I think they call it, and it is great. Very small, so if you don't have a lot of space above your table you can still form a relatively long loop. Also the "Dubbit" is a great tool, though a little longer.

I have both the Cal Bird tool and the Dyna King whirler. Each has it's advantages. The long handle and hook design of the Cal Bird makes it easy to use as a wrapping tool as well as a twister. Niether has gotten much use since I got Mitch's bobbin whirler though.

Interesting , I was just going to ask if anyone uses Mitch's whirler and what they thought of it.

This seems to be a good page to see many of the whirlers available...

http://www.thefind.com/sports/info-dubbing-tools

Here's an easy way to make one.

Making the Easy Door Knob Dubbing Loop Tool - Volume 6, Week 39 Fly Angler's OnLine"

Chugger, just curious ...do you already own a Cal Bird?

+ Reply to Thread