+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How many do you tie?

Default How many do you tie?

Seeing Joni's 'hot new pattern' thread brought this to mind for me.

Here on FAOL we get inundated with outstanding flies on a daily basis. Some you can look at and easily decide that while tying a few might be fun, you're not likely to actually 'use' them...but once in a while you'll see something that you just 'know' will work for you. Also, many of us are always experimenting with stuff, trying new things...tweaking to get ceertain actions, fit certain presentations...call it 'product developement' or 'design phase' whatever..eventually though, you get to where you 'want' it to be.....

When you 'find', develope or 'decide' on fly you're going to fish, how many of them do you tie so you have 'enough on hand' for fishing?

I'm asking about 'after' you've 'tested it'...or decided for whatever reason that 'this fly' is one you will actually use?

A dozen? A dozen of several sizes? Several hundred so the technique is 'set' in your mind/hands?

Just a couple, knowing you can always tie more?

Buddy
    It Just Doesn't Matter....

Buddy-

I like to tie at least 12 of a new pattern, and have at least 6 in any one size and color.

So I might tie all 12 in the same size color, 6 in two colors the same size, or 6 in two sizes of the same pattern etc.

12 seems to be the magic number in terms of getting the pattern down-- though sometimes if the first couple are a little shaky, I'll keep going until i have 12 halfway decent ones.

Joni's pattern is definitely worthy of at least 12. (Just ordered some hot pink Danville.)

Mark

Hi Buddy,

That got me to thinking because, to be honest, I have no idea! I rarely tie the same pattern twice in a row, and never sit down to ensure I have at least X number of some pattern. Usually, when I sit down at the vice, I'll just decide on a pattern I want to tie, tie one up, and if I have time to tie a 2nd fly, I'll tie a different pattern. Since there are certain patterns I like to fish, I eventually end up with a fair number of those ones. But since I also like to fish as many different patterns as I can (I often will change flies to a new pattern after catching a fish to see what else works) I often have a few "experimentals" in the box to try out. I've gone on some outings where the plan was to fish only patterns I've not yet caught a fish on.

- Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by JeffHamm View Post
    Hi Buddy,

That got me to thinking because, to be honest, I have no idea! I rarely tie the same pattern twice in a row, and never sit down to ensure I have at least X number of some pattern. Usually, when I sit down at the vice, I'll just decide on a pattern I want to tie, tie one up, and if I have time to tie a 2nd fly, I'll tie a different pattern. Since there are certain patterns I like to fish, I eventually end up with a fair number of those ones. But since I also like to fish as many different patterns as I can (I often will change flies to a new pattern after catching a fish to see what else works) I often have a few "experimentals" in the box to try out. I've gone on some outings where the plan was to fish only patterns I've not yet caught a fish on.

- Jeff
    That is pretty much my exact same thought too. I may tie a few of the same pattern but decide to switch up to something else. I may also get a bright idea in the middle of tying a pattern and switch it right there on the spot!

Buddy, ... For atlantics, 'cause they are usually complicated, 4-6 of my favourites is enough to start the season. Usually in 2-3 sizes.

For trout, the work horses, like muddlers, there is often a whole box full (I carry a muddle box which has about 100 muddlers in it, 4-6 sizes of most of the variations I like)

Wen I want to try a new fly, it usually gets 3 sizes done up.
    Christopher Chin

I try to tie half a dozen each in a couple of sizes. Notice I said try, I'm not always successful.
    Happiness is wading boots that never have a chance to dry out.

If I've tied and tried a fly and really like it, I will usually tie up a dozen or so in my favorite color/size and then six each in either different color/size for a total of 24 flies.

Jim Smith

The pattern of my time at the vise is much like Jeff Hamm and s1rGr1ingo.

But for the "tried and true" flies I know I'll be using and catching fish on this coming season...I'll eventually tie up 1/2 dozen or so in the off-season, but usually never all in one sitting.
    David Merical
    St. Louis, MO

Between 16 and 24 depending on the pattern and which flybox or chest box tray I plan to put them. That's because I only keep 4 flies of any one pattern or size on me when fishing and I like to keep at least a dozen extras in my spare fly boxes back at the car.

For me it a matter of sparse - a sparse inventory of a sparse number of flies.

I carry one box with dries, wets, and small nymphs and a second box with streamers and big nymphs. The first box has all the flies I really depend on plus some new things I've tied for whatever reason, or flies given to me by others to try on my rivers and streams here in SE Idaho. The second box has just a few patterns that have served me well.

I maintain the inventory so I have three or four of the flies I know will work for me anywhere. When I replenish, it is based more on the proven durability of the fly than anything else. If I know a pattern tends to take a beating, I might tie three or four. If I know a pattern is bulletproof, I might only tie one or two.

I don't have an "off season" here, so my approach to fly tying is consistent year round.

John
    The fish are always right.

+ Reply to Thread