+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tieing flies

Blog Entries

any sound that relaxes you and engages whatever little brain cells are not entirely necessary for the task at hand is great to use. it makes concentration a whole lot easier.

personally, i turn on a baseball game, especially a spring training afternoon game. if it's on the TV, the commentators will tell you when you have to look, otherwise the nature of the game means that good commentators can convey both the action and the atmosphere without interrupting what you're doing. another good choice is the endless repeats of "How It's Made" on the Discovery and Science channels.
    fly fishing and baseball share a totally deceptive simplicity; that's why they can both be lifelong pursuits.

Blog Entries

Smile

We tried that in the orchard during the harvest when picking fruit in the 1960's. The boss strung speaker wire and we hung the speakers from the trees. If the music was too slow the production slowed down accordingly. If it was too fast we'd have pickers bopping right off the ladders. Rock and roll is for on the ground.
    It might be ok for the classroom or for tying flies but when Your standing on the top rung of a 14 foot ladder you need to go at your own speed.

Bin dere done dat.

PS. When we cut down the trees and switched to grapes, a fast tune while picking grapes boosts the pickers count considerably.
    For God's sake, Don't Quote me! I'm Probably making this crap up!

James Taylor gets it done for me. A little "Walking Man" and I'm good to go!
    Tight Lines,

Kelly.

"There will be days when the fishing is better than one's most optimistic forecast, others when it is far worse. Either is a gain over just staying home."

Roderick Haig-Brown, "Fisherman's Spring"

Bela Fleck and the Flecktones works for me. I tried Bob Seger and ended up on my Harley 150 miles from my tying station. Jim
    I'm either going to, coming from or thinking about fishing. Jim

Western Portal Sequoia National Forest & the G.T.W., Kern River, CA.

Default Music to tie by,

For me it's contemporary Jazz with artists like Ottmar Liebert & Peter White.
    Whites " Venice Beach " puts me on the flats, making that last cast into a balmy tropical sunset.

Best, Dave

I usually have the radio playing the oldies station when I tie, but one too many commercials for cell phone plans or cars, and I turn it off.

I've come to find that the "quiet" is a rare luxury, one that fewer and fewer seem to be able to cope with. We are bombarded with so much sound and noise that it has eroded our attention spans and built an insatiable need for constant entertainment. I love my music, but I've come to really value quiet. I must be getting old.
    The most valuable thing I've learned about fly fishing is just how little I really know.

"With integrity, nothing else matters. Without integrity, nothing else matters." ~ Winston Churchill

Anderson, South Carolina (Northwest corner of SC) USA

Talking Another suggestion!

A little Jimmy Buffet music isn't bad either. It makes me feel like a professional tyer down in Key West looking out my window at Mallory Square. Fly Tyer in Paradise! 8T

Sade, Chris Botti, Sarah Brightman, Michael Buble, and latley I've been putting "Pandora" on the laptop and selecting a rather esoteric mix including Epica and other's of what I would call "Classical Metal"
    or maybe "Heavy Classical" not sure what it would be labeled Classical Music with a Heavy Metal Beat mixed.
    Of Course when I was in High School(mid 60's) I was into Psycadelic and Classical
    Last edited by bdesavage; 03-04-2009 at 07:03 PM. Reason: Cant spell

Quote Originally Posted by Betty Hiner View Post
    Just no head-banging or heavy metal!! (can you imagine what those flies would look like?!?)

I like New Age.
    now i know why your rods are so beautiful and "zen like" heeheehee
    "some go to church and think about fishing, others go fishing and think about God." Tony Blake

Another vote for bluegrass. Yonder Mountain String Band is where it's at!

+ Reply to Thread