+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Daniel Boone NF-RRG?

Default Daniel Boone NF-RRG?

So, I haven't started a new thread on FAOL for like 3 or 4 months. I kinda lost the motivation to fish being stuck in warm water heaven under cold, stormy clouds but am starting to switch gears mentally back to the rod.

A few buddies of mine and I are planning a backpacking trip down to Red River Gorge in the Daniel Boone National Forest, KY at the end of March. As it looks now we'll be packing in on the Swift Camp Creek Trail. I've never been anywhere near this National Forest, but seems that I've heard people talk of fishing the Red River. My question is, does anyone know if there are fish to be had in the Swift Camp Creek? I'm guessing no b/c thre is nothing listed on the Forest Service website about it, but thought I'd check here anyway.

Leave No Trace

I was bored at work so did a quick internet search on Swift Camp Creek and turned up a few things on fishing it.

http://www.kyhuntnfish.com/trout-streams.php
    http://www.flyfishingcommunity.com/m...fm?bow_id=1957
    http://www.sydweedon.com/backpack/scc.htm
    "The reason you have a good vision is you're standing on the shoulders of giants." ~ Andy Batcho

3. Default

I grew up in Kentucky and we used to go to the Gorge a lot, including the old Swift Creek campground. I think the old campground and grocery store closed many years ago. I can remember catching trout down the road from Swift Creek. That's been over 30 years so sorry I can't remember the exact location. Several years ago I went back and did take my fly rod. Much to my surprise, I caught a lot of small rainbows on a bead head prince nymph very near our traditional campsite. We camped across the creek and upstream a bit from where the road used to cross the creek in the old campground. It was around Thanksgiving and very cold, our waders froze over night.

My brother recently hike a good portion of the trail and really liked it. He didn't fish though.

Enjoy, leave no trace and practice catch and release.

Looks like a nice park, I may just have to visit next time I go to Frankfort for business. Maybe make it a long weekend.

Roy

Nice finds. Thanks Kerry.
    Leave No Trace

+ Reply to Thread