+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Propellar flies/Pistol Pete's

Default Propellar flies/Pistol Pete's

Thought I would try some Pistol Pete's...ordered the smallest propellers I could find [from J Stockard]...upon trying them it became obvious for streamer type hooks ...even with the barbs turned down ...they wouldn't go on.

I thought from previous discussion smaller was better mainly to make twist less likely.

Does anyone have experience?

What size props go with what size hooks?

Are larger props more effective?

Any other words of wisdom would be appreciated ...but let's not get into is it really a fly or fly fishing thing.

http://www.cabelas.com/prod-1/0019716113170a.shtml

Hey, Duck,
    Got a small drill? Just made the hole bigger.

Kirk

Thought of that ,Kirk, but there is not enough to work with.

Seemed too obvious. Just thought I'd try.

Kirk

Then you have definitely got to go smaller hook. Don't forget the bead also, so it will spin freely.
    Last edited by Fly Goddess; 03-01-2009 at 10:30 PM.

Quote: "The big difference between tying Petes and your regular tie is that you have to use hooks
    with a longer shank, to accommodate the bead and propeller blade. Instead of a standard wet fly
    hook, you will go to a 2X or 3X long shank. For streamer and some wooly worm and wooly bugger
    ties, you might want to use a 4X long. Experiment until you get a balance in the size, shape and
    performance of the Pete.
    If you have a small enough propeller blade, so that it does not overpower a fly, or create a
    bad balance, you can theoretically make a Pete on any size hook you want. But, again, since you are
    usually not trying to finesse finicky six inchers, you will be tossing larger sizes. Petes are designed
    to catch larger fish and are typically best tied on a hook of about size 6 or larger.
    Big wooly buggers and streamers are best balanced on size 4, 2 or even up to 1/0 streamer
    hooks, 3X or 4X long. Smaller wet fly and attractor patterns can be effectively created on hooks as
    small as size 82X or 3X. Again, you can experiment to find what works best for you.
    There is an option you may wish to consider in purchasing hooks for the Pete. Standard
    hooks are mostly down-eye. Some come in up-eye models. For Pete making you might want to
    try some of the ring-eye hooks, in long shank models. Several hook manufacturers offer these
    and they are sometimes less expensive than high-end fly tying hooks." End Quote
    Doug
    Enjoying the joys of others and suffering with them- these are the best guides for man. A.E.

Try Mustad 3261s or 3261Ds.

Another option is to use a normal shank hook and then place the propeller and beads on stainless wire ahead of the fly. This can be done using the round nose pliers used by beading folks. You then attach your leader to the loop on the prop assembly. This makes it a little easier to build and allows you to add a prop to any streamer fly.

TxEngr

Duckster....

The props I got, which the package shows as 'small' fit fine on the hooks I'm using...Mustad 3191s and Eagle Claw Aberdeens....

I went out and checked and they fit fine on the the #4 4X streamer hooks I have too....

What hooks are you using?

Buddy
    It Just Doesn't Matter....

Default Blades

How about just sliding a blade up the leader, then a plastic bead, then tie on the popper?

+ Reply to Thread