+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hook, Spool, and dubbing storage

hutjensmpg Guest

Default Hook, Spool, and dubbing storage

Hey everyone - I figure with the set ups that I've seen on here, someone must have a good solution for me.

To set the stage - I don't have a fly tying desk and would really like to continue to tie at the kitchen table as I have a good set up where I can have a ball game on tv while I tie. So a desk in a specific room isn't for me.

I have some drawers by the table where I store my tools and materials. Tools are in one of those Renzetti caddies which does a nice job, and feathers/fur in two tupperware boxes that do nicely. The packages are large enough to sort quickly and easily.

But I'm struggling with the dubbing (and assorted things like thin skin, swiss straw, etc), hooks, and spools. They are in several shoe boxes at the moment, but they're pretty unorganized and it gets annoying - especially all the spools. What I'm looking for is a good way of organizing each to put them in easily accessible organization where I can just pull it out of the drawer and be ready to go as soon as I clamp the vise down. Drawers are 20 inches wide and 6 inches deep.

Any and all ideas are much appreciated!

In the craft section at many stores you can find shallow clear plastic boxes divided into compartments. I think the ones I use to store finished flies in are meant to store embroidery floss and have about twenty small compartments but they are available in variouse configurations. Just pick up a couple that seem to fit your needs.
    I can think of few acts more selfish than refusing a vaccination.

Look over this site and see what all they have. I have ordered from them and am very satisfied with their products. They have a lot to choose from and I feel they will have something that will take care of all your needs. I use 2 of their carousels which hold 36 cups each for my dubbing, hooks and beads. Just apply a label on them and you are set. One cup with the correct size hook, one cup with the right bead and one with the dubbing for a particular fly pattern is all is needed on my fly tying table when tying a pattern. Change cups for different patterns.

Just look their site over and see all their products. I am not connected with them in any way. I am just a satisfied customer that has found some sort of orgainization from their products.

http://tidycrafts.net/cart/craft-car...izer-p-26.html
    Warren
    Fly fishing and fly tying are two things that I do, and when I am doing them, they are the only 2 things I think about. They clear my mind.

My wife bought me a thread spool box that has about 18 rods onto which the spools are placed. This particular box has a lid made for stacking with other similar boxes.

I use 3x5 card file boxes for things that are sold in small ziplock bags, like dubbing and chenille, for example.

Don't forget good ole Wally World.

Wal-Mart has some low priced containers for beads and such in their craft/sowing section. My wal-mart sells plastic containers with 18/20 individually opening compartments this way one slip doesn't leave all your hooks on the kitchen floor, just the one that was open. They have the rounded corners for easy bead/hook removal. If you want to use them for dubbing you just drill about a 1/8" hole in the bottom of each compartment and voila it's a dubbing despenser.

Umpqua also sells a hook/bead container but at a much higher cost.

I like you don't have a desk or set tying area and have to set up and take down when done.

I use a 3 tray Plano tackle box where the spools go in the slots, usually 4-5 spools in each one. I put the packages of dubbing in the bottom storage tray on the left hand side and my box's and bags of hooks on the right.

I have two tray slots for pieces of hackle that I think are good enough for something and they get stored there.

Works for me and you can take it with you when you go.

Fatman

If you have lots of thread, the thread spool boxes they sell in the sewing places are great...if you have fewer spools, those 'reuasble' cheap food storage containers will hold six to eight spools easily. They can be bought in pacakges up to a dozen containers..and can hold all your 'bulky' materials.

For things like dubbing or other 'bagged' materials, a large school type 3 ring binder is handy...you can get 'pages' that they make for sports cards or photos that will each hold a full package of dubbing, or whatever that comes in one of those 3 X 4 zip lock baggies...if you are into it, a labeling tool will let you neatly label it all so you know what you have and where it goes...a 3 inch binder will hold 20 pages easily with about 12 packages to a page...

Hit the dollar store for those 7 day pill boxes...comes in lots of configurations....holds hook well and they are cheap...a small piece of the 'stick on magnet tape' (get this in a roll at WalMart) stuck to the bottom of each compartment will keep the hooks from falling out should you have an accident.....

Most vises when broken down will fit in a 'tool bag'..find these at Ace or better yet, Harbor Freight...your tying tools will fit in there too....

You can store all of this stuff in a gym style duffle bag, including vise and tools....get one big enough to hold all your stuff...sizes vary....if you have LOTS of stuff, a rolling duffle with wheels and handle will make moving it about a bit easier on the back...

Something like this will suffice until you kick out one of the kids or the spouse gets fed up and leaves and can use finally take a whole room for your tying station ('Randy REALLY wants to live in the tree house out back..I know he's only three, but being outside will toughen the little guy up...yes, he sleep walks, but I'll put on railings..maybe install a net?...' or 'really, honey, the guest room just sits there...if we have company, they can sleep on the couch..TV is better there anyway'...).

Buddy
    Last edited by Buddy Sanders; 03-02-2009 at 03:15 PM.
    It Just Doesn't Matter....

Agree that Walmart and Target are great places to pick up various storage containers. I think I picked up the ones below at Target. They're stackable and hold anything spooled very nicely. I think they're referred to a cosmetics storage.

Blog Entries

I put my hooks and beads into a 7 day pill organizer that I got from WallyWorld for around $1 or so, IIRC. It works nice, and has a rounded front that allows you to slide your beads or hooks out.

Looks like this: http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...ct_id=10322091
    Better to be an active environmentalist than and environmental activist.

FFMIRSWTNBOF
    (Full Fledged Member in Raunchy Standing-Within The NBOF)

I read the initial post again and based on that post there are a set number of drawers that are available. So let’s maximize that space before we start carting in the additional storage.

Take your drawer dimensions (and maybe dimensions for some of your common items like dubbing packages) to the local craft shop, wal-mart, home depot, fishing tackle shop or wherever. Then look for the container system that maximizes your available space. I did this with a file cabinet I have to store fishing, cycling, shooting, and other small items. Plano offers so many options I was able to find combinations that worked very well for my available space. If you are lucky you’ll find a container or complementary containers that fit almost perfectly in your drawers (basically, the perfect puzzle pieces). Once you know the size(s) you need they often come in different configurations and/or with movable dividers. Plano or similar name brand containers may not be the most inexpensive but sometimes it’s ok to spend a little extra to maximize efficiency and convenience. Plus you can start your search on their websites to get an idea of the configurations they have available.

+ Reply to Thread