+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Trick Casts on YouTube

Watching that was pretty neat...but, as pointed out there are only one or two that I can see being useful (especially when there's an easier cast that will do basically the same thing.

Why do I never hear heavy metal music when I'm out casting on the river?
    there really wasn't much heavy or metal about that soundtrack...just sayin'
    "Some people fish their entire lives without realizing it's not the fish they're after."

These so called "trick" casts are all spey casts or variations on them. The best trick and value in all of them is they keep the fly on the water where you are actually fishing.

Note the absence of false casting.

I too, noticed the spey tecniques in most of the casts he was doing. No backcasting room. Watch it again and notice that in every case the fly touches down just long enough to anchor the line (anchor point and D loop= spey) before his forward cast. He is very good. I know cuz I am very bad.
    Gary

While no expert caster here, I have been mezmerized by that footage of that guy casting since last season. Even spent a few hours doing those casts. I fish many places where there is little to no room for a true overhead backcast and the one hand adaptation of the spey casts are just wonderful. A whole new bunch of fellows are fishing with switch rods these days that allow for one handed use of a longer rod but also allow for two handed casts. These 10 1/2' to 13' rods are on the wish list and seem to provide some real utility. I have a 10', 7 wt that is almost there, but not quite, the handle is a one hand application only. I have seen a handle extention that might end up on this rod one day though.

Pretty video indeed with some real world application.

Just stirring the pot a little....

Who cares if there's no direct application for the cast itself? It becomes an exercise in coordination then, like all ball-handling tricks basketball players have been doing since the Harlem Globetrotters started touring. It's just fun to do.

Personally, I think at some point every one of these might have some applicable situation and the indirect results of becoming that comfortable with your equipment have other impacts to your "applied" fly-fishing.

That man really understands the concept of loading the rod and unloading the rod. As someone said early, he makes it look effortless, he isn't forcing things, the rod is doing the work and not the arm. I have to remind myself of that often when I find myself forcing things.

By the way, last year, those casts were an inspiration to my daughter to try fly casting. She wasn't excited about going "fishin' with Dad, but after viewing some of those casts she said, will you teach me the Voodo cast? Seriously cool inspiration. It allowed me to put a fly rod in her hand and spend some time with her on the water. She's only 12 and views my fishing activity as boring stuff.

Rick

+ Reply to Thread