+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lake shore fishing

Default Lake shore fishing

I fish several lakes from the shoreline. The problem is many are tree lined so casting is a challenge. Roll casting is a great help, but even with that getting the line out to were the fish are is not easy. Many of the places where fish roam are 60' or more out from shore. I have been looking at a switch rod. I am also thinking about a Spey rod to do the trick as well. Any of you use these types of rods for fishing the shore lines of lakes? Can you roll cast or similar 60+ feet consistently with these types of rods?
    Trout don't speak Latin.

Uncle Barry Guest

Good morning TFly.
    Mate your application and location is screaming to you, a Trout Spey rod !

With better Trout Spey type rods and a suitable level of skill you can expert to RollCast, Single Spey or Underhand cast into the 80FEET RANGE !

This would be by using a 5/6w 12 footer and suitable line.

People generally just haven't discovered the Trout Spey rod yet, but its coming along with it a complete new understanding of where and how to Trout fish be it a lake or wee stream.

Where you can fish, anywhere a spin fisher could, all because all of a sudden there is no need for space behind the caster to cast and load his or her rod from.

Kind regards,
    UB
    ps, I must state, I design and have built Doubles for both Overhead and Spey casting and single handed fly rods.

Smile

Hi Uncle Barry,

Thanks for the info. I have been looking at getting a switch rod for sometime, but the Trout Spey rod sounds like the way to go. I went to the R.B. Meiser website and looked up their R.B. Meiser Highlander Series. They have a model; S2H126456 Highlander 12'6" 4 pc 4/6 wt. Fast/Medium Fast Progressive "Trouter". I hope to find other fly rod makers who make a Trout Spey. If you are anyone else know of makers I can look at please let me know.
    Trout don't speak Latin.

What weight are you thinking? Echo makes switch rods, as does Beulah.
    One question for you though. Our mountain lakes have trees surrounding the lake. Roll casting is a must, but some tree will prevent the use of a 12' + rod.

Uncle Barry Guest

Hi
    In the United States there is Loomis and others also you can buy blanks and build a Trout Spey.

Please don't forget, you will require a special line also for the arrangment, something like the Airflo Plus 40 type.

Kind regards.
    UB
    ps, myself I would go directly to Mr Mieser and get totally honest answers and direction from him Here you will be dealing directly with the designer and fisher and be able access his knowldge, unlike some salesman in a retail shop.

You may have noticed,
    "Fast/Medium Fast Progressive "
    In the World of Doubles, this term is very different to what most people understand, all because most people come from a understand of those little single handed rods.

Tyrone,

I'd never discourage someone from buying a new rod...but...

A good float tube is cheaper than a new rod, and then you can get out where you can 'cast' normally...

Even with a 'switch' rod, it will take quite a bit of practice and the resulting expertise to roll cast 60' on a lake (no current to help load the rod..)

Buddy
    It Just Doesn't Matter....

I haven't lake fished with any of my spey/switch rods but I imagine it would work for you. Or you could get a float tube? lol. FG's right about the over hanging trees. If they're that close a 10-13 footer might be tough to manuever. On moving water there are casts you can make to compensate for heavy tree cover but i'm not sure on a stillwater.

Uncle Barry made an excellent suggestion about checking with Bob Meiser. He builds beautiful rods and really knows the sport well. Also, check with "Poppy" over at Redshed, in Idaho. He'll be able to help ya out.

Smile

FG,

For the lakes I fish I mainly use a 5 or 6 wt fly rod depending on the flies I use or the wind condition. I will look for Echo and Beulah while I am at the FF show this weekend.

Depending on the rainfall the trees could be a problem, but I generally will wade in to give myself some additional space.

UB,

"You may have noticed,
    "Fast/Medium Fast Progressive "
    In the World of Doubles, this term is very different to what most people understand, all because most people come from a understand of those little single handed rods."

So for those of us with who don't know could you elaborate a bit?

Thanks.
    Trout don't speak Latin.

Part of my quest is due to just wanting to expand my casting skills and learn a bit more about the different styles.
    Trout don't speak Latin.

Question

ps/paint,

How is two-handed casting with a switch rod compared to a spey rod?
    Trout don't speak Latin.

+ Reply to Thread