+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Best Nymphing blank

Default Best Nymphing blank

I didn't want to hi-jack previous thread so I started a new one.

Would you rather have a fast, moderate-fast, moderate or slow rod for highstick nymphing?

Just my opinion...

I would think rod length would be more important than rod action when "high-sticking"...

I use fast action rods for this only because I prefer fast action rods for all my fly fishing.
    Warren
    Fly fishing and fly tying are two things that I do, and when I am doing them, they are the only 2 things I think about. They clear my mind.

Just to show that there are different opinions, I like a soft rod as I tend to set the hook more agressive than I should and need the soft rod to protect the small tippets that I use most of the time. I use a Winston WT.

Uncle Barry Guest

Good morning.
    Myself, I love a slow soft rod and so would most casters for freshwater fishing if they had a command of Spey casting with their single handed rods !

Sadly today the market is driven by all the b/s of its got to be faster and faster type of rod which only makes it harder and harder to single hand Spey cast with.

Yes the faster than fast rod is ideal for overhead casting by good to expert casters and harder and harder for new casters to start with, here as a slow rod is ideal to learn with.

And for someone starting out into the Spey casting World a faster than fast rod is almost impossible.

Then one day I hope, someone might just decide to release a slow actioned rod and pour the dollars in behind it into marketing and change the average casters thinking, and start a rethink into fly casting that will start with Spey and finish, if you have to, at overhead casting.

The other huge advantage of a slow actioned of is of course far less bust offs during striking or fighting the fish.

Kind regards,
    UB

I think the ideal blank would be long and light weight
    Stiff for most of it's length with a very sensitive tip
    Closer to medium than fast, I think
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements.
    --- Horace Kephart

I like a 9' 5wt in medium-fast.

The rod i use is a Sage Launch in that size and i like i compared to slower rods ive nymphed with as well as a few that are faster.

Overall for high sticking i think 9'+ is needed and the action is more your choice.

I have to agree that it's more the length, than the action of the rod. I prefer to use fast, to medium fast rods for high sticking.

Default Nymph rod

I'm all over the place with rod actions, etc., and like to nymph fish them all.
    - I have a Sage XP 10' 5wt 4pc that I built from a blank 7 or 8 years ago I think, and it's a fantastic high stick river nymphing rod...not to mention a great lake rod.
    - I'm also having fun nymph fishing a Steffen Bros. 8'6" 5/wt 4pc fiberglass rod I built, and with minor adjustments to casting and mending, am finding that it's also a great nymphing rod.
    - Then there's my old medium action Lamiglas 9' 5wt graphite rod...great all-around rod with good backbone, and a really good nymph rod to boot.

Sounds like I can't make up my mind....but I love them all and they catch lots of fish.

Dudley: sounds like you're describing a Scott G2.

- Tom

Default nymphing

We're seeing folks favor longer blank and mod-fast to med-fast actions. I agree. We're going to introduce some 10' 3 & 4 weights soon that'll be great for nymphing. Of course, you can effectively nymph with any rod, but 8'6" plus will land you more fish.

Just go fishin' and enjoy!!

Ron

Default 10-footers

Hey Ron: Count me in for one of the those 10-footers. I've had a few people suggest I try a 10-footer for nymphing.
    Bruce

+ Reply to Thread