+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Adding studs to felt wading boots

Default Adding studs to felt wading boots

I've been reading the various threads regarding felt wading boots. I have a pair of Simms freestone boots about 3 years old but they didn't come with studs.

I know Simms sells carbide-tipped studs as well as non-tipped ones but I've heard many people just use simple sheet-metal screws and do it themselves.

Do most of you recommend this? Should I look for any particular material for the screw? (stainless, aluminum) I'm guessing I need to make sure the screw is shorter than the felt thickness. Do you use any sort of adhesive or just screw them in? Any particular pattern to put them on the sole?

Also, if I do choose to do this and later decide I don't like them will removing the screws ruin the felt or shorten the boot life?
    Take Care ...
    Steve
    \><((((((*>

Stainless, aluminum is too soft. My William Joseph felts came with screws to attach. Just make sure that the screws are too long and poke a hole in your waders, much less your feet. chota, also has a kit and I think that it cost less than the Simms kit if you are so inclined.

Did a quick search, posted the first one found, shop around.

http://www.pacificflyfishers.com/Cat...hotaCleats.htm

Steve

I bought some Simms carbide studs and just screwed them into the bottom of the boot. I did that to both my wading boots and a pair of felt bottom hippers. I have not had any back out and that has been three years ago. As far as placement, I just looked at some studded boots in the catalogs to get a feel for where they should go.

Dave
    " If a man is truly blessed, he returns home from fishing to the best catch of his life." Christopher Armour

When I first started doing that I used aluminum screws.they were not too soft...in fact the fact that they were softer than regular screws was considered a plus.

Then Chotas came out so I started using sheet metal screws and they worked just fine ...couldn't tell any significant difference from the aluminum.

Never had any back out.

As far as length ...it depends on the construction of the boot some have a thicker original sole than others ....and on those I liked to have the screw bite into it.

+ Reply to Thread