+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Leader Formulas

Blog Entries

Default Leader Formulas

Anyone have a good reference for knotted leader formulas? Anyone tie their own and why?

http://globalflyfisher.com/fishbette...c/download.php

I've only been tying my own leaders for a year or so now but I like it as it's just one more "do it yourself" element to flyfishing. Now I have a fly I tied on a leader I made connected to a rod I built. Sorta nice when it all comes together.

It also allows you to experiment with different butt, middle and tip combinations and once you're past the initial investment I think you'll save money overall.
    Take Care ...
    Steve
    \><((((((*>

Normand Guest

heres a place that has tons of formulas

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...s&aq=o&oq=&aqi=

I tie to save money.

To keep it simple and to to use fewer knots, I use only two formulas. For most situations I go: 60%, 20%, 20%. If I want a more supple leader I go 40%, 20%, $40%.

But I am not a scientific angler.

Randy

Default Tying my own

I tie them for 2 reasons - I like a leader without a loop and they are cheaper, especially fluorocarbon. I find that without a loop, I am no longer hanging up when the leader loop comes through the ferrel.

The leader fromula that I use is as follows - Butt section is X, then 1/2X, and then 1/4X. If butt is 6 feet then add 3 feet and then add 18" and then 18 to 24" of tippet. For 6 to 8wts, start with 25#, then 20#, and then 15# test. For 4-5 wts use 20-15-12 or 10#, and for 3 or less use 15-12-10#. I use Orvis Mirage for my flouro and Maxima Clear for my regular leaders. Both are good and stiff.

I use a nail knot to the fly line and then all blood knots for the rest of the leader. After you tie a knot, hold the leader in each had about 6" away from the knot. With the leader bent so it forms a "bell", roll the leader back and forth. If the bell holds its shape, then the test you are using is okay. If the bell does not stay rounded, then the test of the smaller line is too small. You don't want "hinges".

I was taught this by Brian Flechsig (Mad River Outfitters) who learned it from Flip and Lefty.
    To Miss Nancy - She hated fishing, but loved a fisherman.

Default to buy them

I've tied all my own leaders for over 20 years
    I fish a lot of different water so I use a number of leaders of all lenghts and diameters.... it just makes sense to tie my own.
    Besides I'm to cheap to buy them
    When I started I used the formulas that came with the 'kit'
    But in recent years I use formulas I've developed on my own
    Last edited by dudley; 02-23-2009 at 02:15 PM.
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements.
    --- Horace Kephart

I furl my own leaders. It's way cheaper and way easier. I'm a huge fan of furled leaders!
    Speak yer mind but ride a fast horse!

Quote Originally Posted by skondolf View Post
    http://globalflyfisher.com/fishbette...c/download.php

I've only been tying my own leaders for a year or so now but I like it as it's just one more "do it yourself" element to flyfishing. Now I have a fly I tied on a leader I made connected to a rod I built. Sorta nice when it all comes together.

It also allows you to experiment with different butt, middle and tip combinations and once you're past the initial investment I think you'll save money overall.
    globalflyfisher is a great way to start. Tons of info with their leadercalc pgm.
    Good Tying and Good Fishing!
    Bob

I use a general formula that each successive length is 2-4 thousandths smaller and 1/2 to 2/3 of the preceeding length.(1/2 makes it turn over harder than 2/3) The butt diameter is dictated by the line, flies and wind conditions and it is generally .023 to .019 dia and 48 to 60" long ---after getting to about .007, I tie a small perfection loop and my tippet to that.
    "She had hooks to make a fish think twice!" ---Chris Smither-"Lola"

+ Reply to Thread