+ Reply to Thread

Thread: In Response to Lead Sinkers Etc.

Default In Response to Lead Sinkers Etc.

I asked on the other thread what the action level was that was being used to determine that the birds had been poisioned. I did not recieve an answer to that. Ok. No problem.

Here is a fact for you to ponder. Maryland Legislation has passed and will become effective 2010, a law that makes it illegal to work on your house or anyone elses unless you have first taken and passed a course on lead paint abatement. IT'S COMMING!
    Steve

Rookie,

I saw your question.

Never saw the term 'action level' in any of the stuff I read.

Didn't find full pathology reports, just the 'data'. I don't know what you mean by 'action level'.

Buddy
    It Just Doesn't Matter....

Hi Buddy,

Action level is the amount of lead determined to be in the blood that is unacceptable and requires action. I question the data presented in any form because to many agencies such as CDC, or States or HUD etc. can establish their own guidelines.

It is somewhat late as I write this but will post some rather extensive data tomorrow evening that will show what I am refering to. It makes it hard to believe everything we read.
    Steve

Rookie

As one who has followed this closely since it first started NOWHERE have I seen a standardized lead level testing. I like Buddy have never seen the term "action level" and it may be referred to as something else but I'm not certain. As you know reading Govt registers, or the Combined Federal Regulations is in ofitself a major pain in the dupa.

I do agree with you that every agency seems to have their own levels of what is and isn't acceptable. Back when I worked in the Environmental Enginerring section for the US Air Force Reserves we had to work closely with all of them and to get an acceptable document where everyone could agree what standard would be used that all could accept.

I personnally believe that this is a major problem for this issue as well. If I see anything as to what you're referring to Ill post it here.

Fatman

Rookie,

From what I read in all these 'studies', what they were doing is pathology on dead birds.

They listed birds that died from lead toxiscity, and also listed birds found dead with lead in their systems. Not always the same....I'm sure that someplace they listed the 'level' of lead in the birds, but I didn't see it shown prominently. Since there birds were all dead, maybe it's a different test?

I have no doubt, from all I read, that lead is killing some birds. What I was reacting to was the assumptions made from the research, which I find ludicrous.

Buddy
    Last edited by Buddy Sanders; 02-23-2009 at 04:02 PM.
    It Just Doesn't Matter....

Having run lead samples on eagles, swans and other birds for the last 30+years . generally in blood it is well below .1 part per million in a positive bird it is almost always over 1 part per million with some going as high as 3+ ppm

+ Reply to Thread