+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question about Fly Lines

Default Question about Fly Lines

I do this and think it sometime helps but wondered about others doing it as well.

I have a 8wt Fly rod and reel and sometimes add a 9 wt line to the rod to cast better, basically adding an extra weight line. Do you do this? Do you add a higher weight reel, or just add 1 wt class higher line on that reel?

Example:
    8wt rod with 8wt reel with 9wt line or
    8wt rod with 9wt Reel with 9 wt line

Thanks and always looking to learn more from others

In my 6wt and 8wt, I tend to fish at long range, ocean etc. A line that was over sized would be detrimental to this. Actually, I have never found it necessary or desirous to do so with any weight rod.

Default 9wt on 8wt

Trout-Dawg, I don't see how the rod could know what line rated reel you put on it. On the other hand, it will respond to the actual line you put on whichever reel, either positively or negatively.

That being said, I do find myself 'uplining and downlining' all over the place...mostly randomly with no real purpose in mind. What I've noticed though is that underlined rods give me a more delicate presentation while at the same time, working my arm a bit too much for my liking. Some more than others.

Conversely, overlined rods tend to cast well, though to a point. I've actually had overlined rods collapse on me, or for lack of better words, kind of fold in on themselves, prolly becoming oval as opposed to round across the section. This can cause permanent damage that can lead to total failure, i.e. breakage. Not something that would happen right away necessarily, but down the road.

I have to agree with JC in that the rod is meant to be used with the factory rated line and there is no need or reason to deviate from that. You take a chance of causing problems by overlining and you might wear your shoulder out underlining. My .02 on that and hopefully those more experienced will chime in.

Cheers,

MontanaMoose
    Last edited by MontanaMoose; 02-21-2009 at 05:53 AM.

Moosie,,, kinda here is how that happens. A rod does not know when it is straight, it just knows it wants to return to the circle it was just before you cast it. Depending on a slew of little things, I.D., O.D., whatever each of the many materials it is made of, how they are arranged and how it was cooked it will try to go back to round. UNLESS,,, it goes soooo far oval that it passes a point on "aw, what the hell," and 'collapses' as we call it. It doesn't break, it just gets mushy for that cast while it struggles to get back to the ovalness it likes, then it pops right back to round. How fast or slow it 're-rounds' is what some call a 'fast or slow' rod.

Default Fast or slow?

Ok, now that last part had to be tongue in cheek judging by the smiley...heh !

Yes, I know exactly what you're talking about...I used to call it 'elipsing'...prolly not the
    most accurate term, but I do remember fly rods simply 'folding up' on me so to speak, when too much work was asked of them.

Cheers,

MontanaMoose

Blog Entries

Default Over Line

Trout-Dawg,

On my nymphing rigs I do overline the rod by one weight. Since I seldom cast over 40 feet when nymphing and I use a modified roll cast, I want more weight in that 40 feet to help load my fast action rod.

However, if I am going to be casting any distance and have a lot of the line out then I stick with the suggested weight of line for the rod I am using. All that line out will cause the rod to load properly without having to overline the rod.

Larry ---sagefisher---
    Organizations and clubs I belong to:

Fly Fishers International Life Member
    FFI 1000 Stewards member
    FFI Presidents Club
    FFI Fly Tying Group Life Member

Washington State Council FFI
    V.P. Membership

Alpine Fly Fishers Club
    President & Newsletter Editor--The Dead Drift

North Idaho Fly Casters club

I find I can usually get away with going up or down one line weight from what the rod is rated, but generally stick with what the factory says. If I know I'll be fishing in tight quarters making lots of short casts I sometimes use a heavier line. Also fishing the surf with my 10wt I use an 11wt intermediate sinking line. It helps to have the heavier line to get casts back out after stripping the line all the way back in. You might find a rod with a bit of a softer action more suited to your casting style. I find over lining tends to give the rod a slower feel. As far as reels go, as long as you have enough backing capacity and an adequate drag for the species of fish you are after you should be ok.

Uncle Barry Guest

Good evening.
    I tend to increase the size of my reel by 2 line classes and fill 'the hole' with backing

Kind regards
    UB

I will always use the lightest reel possible for the intended job. I form my loops, both front and back, by stopping my rod. The less the combination weights, the less work it is for me. Those little bits of weight all ad up. For me, lighter = less work. Many years ago they had to make it a rule, the reel had to be 'on the rod' in some distance casring contests. Many would cast with the reel laying on the ground to reduce the total weight.

I always overline my saltwater rods
    With a heavier line you can cast larger flies..... and still use the lighter rod.
    Also with the heavier line, the rod loads faster with less line out. Important when you need to make a minimum of false casts.
    I like to use the smallest reel I can get away with and still have enough backing...(they're cheaper )
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements.
    --- Horace Kephart

+ Reply to Thread