+ Reply to Thread

Thread: holdem and Skershaw hit the water

Default holdem and Skershaw hit the water

I know this is the warm water forum, but Nebraska isn't know for cold water fishing.

Skershaw is one of the guys who got me into fly fishing, so when I decided to hit the water last night, he was on the short list of people I called to see if they wanted to join me.

It was a beautiful sight when I pulled into the park and saw the entire lake was open.

First fish was in hand within three casts. Gills are my favorite, but bless the Nebraska Game and Parks Commission for stocking rainbow's in many Omaha metro lakes during the spring and fall. They sure do fight better in February than most fish around here.

First decent fish of the 09 season. (some small gills, crappie and bass have already been caught, but all were small, and no fight.)

Kershaw got a few too!

I'm loving my new 3wt, nothing special, just a three forks combo from Cabela's.

Nice job, fellas!

Omaha isn't really much further south than Des Moines (maybe 50 miles...and only 130 miles west!)...I can't believe you have OPEN WATER! I'm soooo jealous!
    Last edited by FishnDave; 02-20-2009 at 02:24 PM.
    David Merical
    St. Louis, MO

Thanks for taking us along...

Looks like a fun evening! The waters finally mostly open here too, I can finally do something about my raging cabin fever!
    If it swims and eats, it'll eat a fly.

The DNR may soon be re-stocking some local put-and-take lakes here also. What flies did you guys catch your fish on?
    David Merical
    St. Louis, MO

Nice fish! Omaha is only about 100 miles south of where I am and yet they have open water in their lakes and we don't. What a difference that 100 miles makes!
    I do have one request of you guys from the south land......send some of that warmth up here A.S.A.P. We need it bad.

Quote Originally Posted by FishnDave View Post
    The DNR may soon be re-stocking some local put-and-take lakes here also. What flies did you guys catch your fish on?
    Olive hares ear, size 12, with a gold bead head. Cast out, let it sink as much as possible with a steady retrieve.

+ Reply to Thread