+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Clamp or Base ??

Question Clamp or Base ??

I'm finally going to upgrade my vise (Well, ... in reality, Liliane was taken over the old one which has served well for decades!).

Looking at a few models and some have both Clamp and Base, but some are only one or the other.

Ideas please. Does a model which sits in a base have any benefits over a clamp model, other than the fact that I can put it right ON the desk top (in those situations where a clamp cannot be accomodated to the table edge).

Is a base as solid as a good clamp? I reef down pretty hard on the thread, sometimes bending the shank!)

Price will probably stay under 200$ (cdn) like for a Griffin Odyssey Cam Vise or Odyssey Spider.
    Christopher Chin

Blog Entries

in my limited experience, a base works just fine IF it has something under it to limit skidding. there is a mesh drawer liner material that cuts to size very easily and keeps things in place.

a clamp is lighter for travelling.

a base is better if you like to lean your elbows on the table to spare your shoulders while doing tricky bits.

some of this stuff is interchangeable between vises. my griffin clamp fitted the Renzetti traveller. maybe you already have what you need!
    fly fishing and baseball share a totally deceptive simplicity; that's why they can both be lifelong pursuits.

Clamp is nice for me if I'm tying some big flies, especially serious deer-hair bugs, and really need to "lean on" the hook. Also gives you some latitude to adjust vise height. Pedestal base is nice because it's easy to set up in places where you may not have a surface condusive to clamp on (like just about every motel room I've stayed in). You can always start with a clamp and buy a pedestal later (got mine for about $20); most vises have standard stem size (3/8" I think).

Regards,
    Scott

I'll Second Scott's suggestion it is nice to have both. I got a base to go with my clamp for my Griffin 2A. It is nice to options.

i prefer the clamp with my regular vise. but i also tie with a nor-vise and the base that comes with his travel kit i haven't had any problems with

Base is best it gives greater flexibility.

At least for me!

Normand Guest

tie using both methods and decide whats best for YOU!

Thumbs up

Wow !! Thanks friends.

I believe the model I'm looking at has both, ... I just wanted to ask a bit in case my model of choice changes.
    Christopher Chin

I'm with Norman on this...You really need to try both and decide what is best for you.

For me, I prefer the clamp because the base forces me to be leaning forward all the time while tying and that will cause me to get tired quicker and cause my shoulders to ache. With the clamp I am able to rest my elbows on my tying chair arms and lean back. You can also purchase, for the clamp type, the off-set. This is an "L" shape item that you can put into the clamp and put the vise stem into the other end and swing the vise towards you more Hard to explain. I think it is called a vise off-set.
    Warren
    Fly fishing and fly tying are two things that I do, and when I am doing them, they are the only 2 things I think about. They clear my mind.

I prefer a vise with a base.

I can grab the vise and easily set up on the front porch or on the picnic table out back. I can pass it accrosss a table at a show.

I do agree that you need a non-slip pad underneath. I also use shelf liner that I pick up at the dollar store in one of a dozen colors.

Ed
    " Fishermen, hunters, wood choppers, and others,
    spending their lives in the fields and woods,
    in a peculiar sense a part of Nature themselves,
    are often in a more favorable mood for observing her,
    in the intervals of their pursuits,
    than philosophers or poets even,
    who approach her with expectation."

Henry David Thoreau

+ Reply to Thread