+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Picric dyed flies

Default Picric dyed flies

- how do you feel about them?

Some are discusted by the properties that the checal has others are delighted in the colours (sorry colors) that are produced.

Picric seems to come in and out of fashion in the UK but there are very few dyers willing to take on the task. Thy all know that they could lose the roof of their house in an explosion!

Quote Originally Posted by Loopy View Post

Some are discusted by the properties that the checal has others are delighted in the colours (sorry colors) that are produced.

Picric seems to come in and out of fashion in the UK but there are very few dyers willing to take on the task. Thy all know that they could lose the roof of their house in an explosion!
    ?????huh????, boy what in the hell are you talk'in about.

Quote Originally Posted by wonderrod View Post
    ?????huh????, boy what in the hell are you talk'in about.
    Picric Acid as a dye for materials. the down side to using it is that it could go BANG. "Like other highly nitrated compounds such as TNT, picric acid is an explosive" wiki

I have had old chem professors in college tell me about them clearing entire buildings and calling the bomb squad when they find this stuff. supposedly about 100ml of this can be pretty ludicrously dangerous.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Picric_acid

Normand Guest

Picric dyed flies

as long as someone else does the dyeing, theyre OK with me.

but anything thats gonna blow up my house is not Ok with me.

Loopy,
    What do you think about using Kool Aid?: http://www.thepiper.com/fiberart/koo...chart-high.jpg
    Doug
    Enjoying the joys of others and suffering with them- these are the best guides for man. A.E.

Loopy,

I don't think I'd try the dye job myself, but I do like the colors of picric dyed materials. There are sonme lovely yellows and olives that I've seen. I'm a member of http://ukflydressing.proboards47.com/index.cgi? and there are pictures posted once in a while of picric dyed materials or flies dressed with picric dyed materials that look great. Wouldn't mind trying a bit of those materials myself.

Are you the same Loopy thats a member of WashingtonFlyFishing.Com?

REE
    Happiness is wading boots that never have a chance to dry out.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Eagle Elk View Post
    Loopy,

I don't think I'd try the dye job myself, but I do like the colors of picric dyed materials. There are sonme lovely yellows and olives that I've seen. I'm a member of http://ukflydressing.proboards47.com/index.cgi? and there are pictures posted once in a while of picric dyed materials or flies dressed with picric dyed materials that look great. Wouldn't mind trying a bit of those materials myself.

Are you the same Loopy thats a member of WashingtonFlyFishing.Com?

REE
    Ron EE

I have seen a couple of your posts on UKFD! I get around as you would expect! I have been known to make a nusiance of myself on WFF but they seem very tolerant of me.

I was invited to join a a swap over here (Mayfly) and I suddenly felt a trifle guilty about tying (I am not a good tyer) with picric materials so I thought that I ought to test the reaction over here before proceeding further. It seems ok so far.

Ron send me a pm and I'll put you in touch with a site. In addition (I'll get shot now!) come and register on the liveliest forum in the UK - FFF!

Last edited by Loopy; 02-19-2009 at 05:42 PM.

Our cousins across the pond have two odd fixations that I can't quite understand. One is picric acid dyed materials which fetch ridiculous sums at at times, for materials as mundane as crystal chennille. The other is the unbelievable amounts paid for a single card of Chadwick 477 yarn for Sawyer's Killer Bug. Of these two obsessions, the picric-dyed material fixation is the most troubling because of the health and safety ramifications.

Of course, all tiers have gone to odd lengths to acquire a particular material, so I guess this is just evidence that they are at least as crazy on the other side of the Atlantic as we are...
    Last edited by whatfly; 02-19-2009 at 11:17 PM.

Just don't put the material In your mouth.

Default Picric dyed material

There's really nothing quite like it as far as dyed material goes. It has a certain sheen or glow for lack of a better term that other dyes just can't reproduce quite the same. Some of them can come really close, but just not ever quite there. Here's a couple of pic's from other site's that show the glow.

Regards,
    Mark

+ Reply to Thread