+ Reply to Thread

Thread: New Water

Default New Water

Good job Rick!

One point in the article, it seems to me, is not addressed by the few fishing books that I have looked through, and that's when it comes time to kill and filet the fish. I saw RW's article a couple (or was it few? time flies) weeks back and it was good, but some pictures could have helped. Anyone have good recommendations for books and/or videos that included the proper method to kill and filet a fish. I am primarily a C&R fisherman due to the fact that I don't want to lug around a cooler to keep the fish in on the way home and many of VA's waterways are very polluted so that my CK&E (catch, kill and eat) numbers will be few.

TIA,
    Paul

Here is the basic fillet method I use and seems to be the most common method. This is the best explaination I've seen so far anyway except I don't do the cheek thing at the end. I hold onto their mouth or head if I don't have a tail-clip board. But I have to wash the slime coat off the fish so I can hold onto it first. I like the tail-clip board better. I cut away from me and keep my fingers away from the blade.

[url=http://www.nodakoutdoors.com/fishcleaning.php:88fa4]http://www.nodakoutdoors.com/fishcleaning.php[/url:88fa4]

------------------
    Robert B. McCorquodale
    Sebring, FL

"Flip a fly"

[This message has been edited by dixieangler (edited 14 November 2005).]
    Robert B. McCorquodale

"Flip a fly"

The method that Robert refers to is basically what I do. The only change I make is that when going toward the tail I follow along where the ribs meet the back bone.
    I then hold up the fillet and cut over the ribs. Then flip it over and take it off the skin.
    Rick

The method shown by Robert is a common, quick and effective method for most fish. However it seems to leave a lot of meat on the carcass, particularly on salmon. On the larger species, like salmon (particularly king salmon) and halibut I will quarter the filets. In other words, I'll cut across the tail and gill plate and then along the sagittal line (the line along the side of the fish that parallels the spinal column)and the dorsum (along the top, just through the skin)of the fish. Next, I'll cut the top section of meat away from the spinal column from the sagittal line toward the top of the fish and remove the filet. Next, I'll cut through the rib bones along the spine and finish the lower section like illustrated by Robert. I will often "butterfly" the lower section, In other words, I won't cut through the belly section or gut the fish, rather I'll leave the two lower sections together, thus salvaging the belly meat as well (another section that is usually wasted). In Alaska, when the salmon are running, a little time spent by the cleaning table will give one a vast education on the different ways to filet fish, some are very effective and others are very wasteful. The method I describe will salvage the most meat, though it will take a little more time.

By the way, killing the fish, probably one of the most important things to do in order to preserve the food quality of the fish: I will stun the fish on the top of the head, just above the eyes (don't need to hit a home run), and then I'll bleed the fish by cutting the gills. Removing the blood is crucial to keeping the fish fresh and free of the strong "fishy" taste.

------------------
    Alaskan Fish Guides Your source for Salmon, Trout, Grayling and Halibut in Alaskan waters. [url=http://www.alaskanfishguides.com:3ad4f]www.alaskanfishguides.com[/url:3ad4f]

[This message has been edited by alaskanfishguides (edited 14 November 2005).]

I should probably bleed my fish also but I usually don't take the time and put them on ice in a cooler to fillet them when I get home. Before I cook the fillets, I soak them in cold milk for about two hours to remove the "gamey" or "fishy" taste.

I think Deanna said that the other method (other than milk) used baking soda or some such. Maybe she could mention it again as I would like to know .

------------------
    Robert B. McCorquodale
    Sebring, FL

"Flip a fly"
    Robert B. McCorquodale

"Flip a fly"

I just ran across it again yesterday in looking for a particular duck recipe. It works for 'muddy' ducks and fish too.
    A small pile in the palm of your hand of both salt and baking soda into a pan of cold water.
    The old timer's called it sal-soda, and it works - soak at least an hour. You don't need the milk with it.

------------------
    LadyFisher, Publisher of
    FAOL

Thanks, Deanna . I'll have to give it a try instead of the milk. The cold milk soaking has always worked pretty good for me. Jim Porter's web-site soaks his fillets in milk also but I don't leave the skin and scales on.
    [url=http://www.jimporter.org/recipes/:e9706]http://www.jimporter.org/recipes/[/url:e9706]

------------------
    Robert B. McCorquodale
    Sebring, FL

"Flip a fly"

[This message has been edited by dixieangler (edited 14 November 2005).]
    Robert B. McCorquodale

"Flip a fly"

Dixieangler and LadyFisher, I have never tried the methods that you mentioned... maybe next season>>>> I must say, however that even if icing the fish, cutting the gills is very important and very quick. I'll hold the fish by the gills and take my knife or scissors and in seconds cut the gill rakers. Then I will simply put the fish in the box. Where I fish, (Alaska) the box remains relatively cool, so I don't use ice, however it certainly is a very good idea.

On another note, something else that was alluded to in the referred site above, but is crucial to preserving the flavor is to remove the skin. I will leave the skin on if I'm going to grill or smoke the fish, otherwise I try to get the skin off as soon as I clean the fish. This removes the fat which also infuses the meat with the stronger flavors.

My wife is very sensitive to strong fish flavors, and yet by bleeding, and skinning the fish, I get to eat fish more often... I'll have to try the milk or sal-soda thing in the spring...maybe my wife will enjoy fish even more....

Bleeding of the fish is perhaps the most important step to assure quality of taste. Ever see that white stuff that shows up on top of a freshly cooked fillet? That is blood, and can make a fish taste "fishy", and it does not freeze well.

Another way to get rid of a fishy taste of smell is peanut sauce. I know, stop laughing. My mother in law told me that and I think I laughed her out of the house when she told me. I may have even let some joke fly regarding her memory. To bad it doesnt work on crow, cause it really, really suprised me how good it tasted on the fish.

Dang, now I want to have some fish for dinner tonight.

Have fun, Jeff

------------------
    Tis my time on the water, in the mountains, and in my driftboat where I can see things as they really are.

I don't have time to go through all these, right now, but I do appreciate all the feedback. What a great bunch of people here!

Thanks.

Paul

+ Reply to Thread