+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Not enough backing

1. Default Not enough backing

I'm trying to get rigged up for a bonefishing trip. I've got a Lamson Radius 3 and an 8 wt Rio Bonefish line. I spooled the line on first so I could add the right amount of backing. Unfortunately, there's only 1/4" of the diameter left for backing. The guide recommends 150 yards of backing.

Would it be a bad idea to cut off 10-20 ft of line? It's 100' long, and I doubt I will ever be able to cast more than 80', anyway. The line has a powerflex (mono) core. I understand that a nail knot would strip off the coating. What would be my best option for attaching the backing after cutting off the factory welded loop?
    Last edited by bazakwardz; 02-14-2009 at 06:28 PM.

THe guide recommends 150 feet or 150 yards?

If this is a trip you spent a good amount of money on AND been looking forward for a while, spend a little extra coin on GSP backing.You can fit a whole lot more on your reel. Also, a .25" on the outside of the spool means a lot more line than a .25" on the inside of the spool. I think you should be fine to get 150 yeards without cutting the line
    Last edited by Flyrodde; 02-14-2009 at 06:21 PM.

Use the 'Arbor knot' (take two turns around the spindle). Then use the 'Albright' from the backing to the line. Consider a thin diameter (gel) line for backing if needed. Cortland has a special one. If needed trim the flyline as a last resort. With the line on the reel, how many feet can you get on?

Don't forget - that 1/4" of "clearance" is at the outside of the spool, so you might be surprised just how much you get on there. I'd try it first before you cut any of the running line on your fly line (you could always go back and do that later - just don't cut the backing before you measure it). Don't forget to leave room for some sloppy rewinding, just in case - in the heat of battle, you don't want to have to worry about the line winding on perfectly.

Another option is gel spun backing. It's smaller diameter means you'll fit more on. Just don't touch that stuff with your hands when a fish is ripping out backing - you'll attract sharks with the blood.

A while back, Normand recommended stripping the outer coating off the fly line and tying the backing to that. An Albright knot and a good coat of Pliobond will keep things secure and able to slide through the guides. If it were mine, I'd just strip the outer coating off the last 3" of fly line and tie a perfection loop in it, then tie a clinch knot to the loop with the backing. I'd coat the knots with Loon's UV Knot Sense just to make sure it slid through the guides smoothly. YMMV.

5. Default

Oops, I did mean 150 yards instead of feet. Jose Wejebe mentions using 30-40 lb spectra braid for backing on his site. What do you think about that?

1/4 of an inch of backing on the outer diameter of the reel is a lot of backing. Try it first. The next thing I would do is cut off the 20' of line from the back of the line, there is no loop there. I've never had a nail knot strip the line from the core but then again I'm not familiar with the mono core line you are using. Just to be safe I'd go with JC on the knot and use an albright, the knot folds the line over upon itself so it will not fail, I'd also put a drop of zap-a-gap on the finished knot just to be safe. For backing I'd use 30lb dacron, I personally hate the GS.

Using super braids (spectra/dynema/gel spun all the same) lines is an option as suggested. These braids are typically not as abrasion resistant as dacron and may be an issue, depending on where you are fishing. Using 50lb spectra you will get an increase of around 30%-60% of capacity over 20# dacron, depending the lines being used. Moving from 30# dacron, 50lb spectra will give a 60% to 100% increase.

I do know some people who cut line of the back end of the fly line to increase backing capacity. They prefer to get closer rather than try 80 to 100+ ft shots (including leader) which are much more difficult to place on target, especially if wading or it is windy.

As Heritage said, that 1/4 inch at the outside of the spool will hold a lot of backing, so there may be room.

Lamson's listed capacity is 150 yards of 20# dacron with a standard WF 7 line. So the Radius 3 with and 8wt Bonefish line will likely hold less.

If you use spectra, you need to make sure it is wound on tight and crisscrossed occasionally or else it will dig into itself.

8. Default

FYI, I found the Stren Super Braid recommended by Wejebe on sale for half price. 125 yards of 40lb turned out to be just the right amount. I don't think I would have gotten nearly as much of the gel spun backing on there.

Default Cutting the line

If you know that you won't be casting the whole line, then just cut it to make room for the backing. Don't think about it too much or you'll make yourself crazy!!

Ron

Quote Originally Posted by bazakwardz View Post
    FYI, I found the Stren Super Braid recommended by Wejebe on sale for half price. 125 yards of 40lb turned out to be just the right amount. I don't think I would have gotten nearly as much of the gel spun backing on there.

FYI, Stren SuperBraid is a gel spun line (dyneema, spectra, etc. its the same). It is a good backing also.
    Last edited by tailingloop; 02-16-2009 at 01:07 AM.

+ Reply to Thread