+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Strike Indicators?

Default Strike Indicators?

Who here uses strike indicators? I'm personally not a big fan. In fact, about the only time I use them is at night.

If you do use indicators, why? And when? And how?

I would always rather use weight (split shot) to get a fly to the right depth, rather than a bobber. Also, using a strike indicator always seems to make it tougher to create a soft, accurate presentation.

But I know a lot of fish have been caught under an indicator, so tell me what you think...

Default Usually

Most of the time when nymphing, and occasionally when fishing VERY small dry flies, I do use an indicator. Depending on the size of the water, the depth, the current speed, the time of year, and the size of the nymph, and whether there is a prospect for fish rising to a dry, I might use a dry fly or hopper as the indicator, or an indicator that I make at home in a fairly wide range of sizes for different conditions. ( See thread on the Warm Water Forum - http://www.flyanglersonline.com/bb/s...ad.php?t=26339 )

I personally don't think indicators are a problem in and off themselves in making a suitable presentation. Maybe in some situations, but not as a matter of routine fishing moving water for trout ( and whitefish !!!! ). There might be a bit of learning curve when using an indicator other than a fly or hopper pattern, but it will likely be a short learning curve and quick adjustment.

Also, I'm not big on using split shot to get a fly down. My preference is to fish unweighted nymphs, and when weight is necessary, to put it on the fly and fish a tandem with a weighted nymph leading an unweighted one. I don't think in terms of the indicator being a tool to keep the fly down, rather that it is a tool to tell me things about where the flies are and what is going on down there.

John
    The fish are always right.

For DEEP NYMPHING and in deep pools if I want the fly suspended off the bottom.
    Sometimes a dry will do this, sometimes it won't.

Rivers I prefer very small indicators, like the smallest Thingamabobber or the smallest Pop Top.
    Just part of CATCHING to me.

I use "Thingamabobbers" and would love to do it your way (something I did before my eyes wore out) but age and tired eyes have changed old habits.

Unlike some who expressed opinions regarding strike indicators in the Warm Water section, and how those indicators "kink" the line, the whole purpose of an effective strike indicator (my opinion) is to put a right angle "kink in the leader in order to allow a correct drift as well as to help detect subtle nudges by feeding fish.

With my old eyes I swear by the advantages of strike indicators and especially "Thingamabobbers" as they seem to transfer even the most subtle and almost imperceptable touches on the fly - most often a rock or the bottom - but at least my old eyes can see it and can react accordingly.

I think every one of us should find what works the best and go with it. I've been doing this for a lot of years and this is where I'm now at. I won't begrudge someone else their way to enjoy this great sport.

As long as we all can agree to disagree on certain points yet show respect to each other and everybody get along, our chosen pasttime should survive - it's when we start thinking that "my way" is the only acceptable option that we go backwards instead of in the right direction together.

Just my two cents. hope it helps.

Kelly
    Tight Lines,

Kelly.

"There will be days when the fishing is better than one's most optimistic forecast, others when it is far worse. Either is a gain over just staying home."

Roderick Haig-Brown, "Fisherman's Spring"

Quote Originally Posted by kglissmeyer View Post
    I use "Thingamabobbers" and would love to do it your way (something I did before my eyes wore out) but age and tired eyes have changed old habits.

Unlike some who expressed opinions regarding strike indicators in the Warm Water section, and how those indicators "kink" the line, the whole purpose of an effective strike indicator (my opinion) is to put a right angle "kink in the leader in order to allow a correct drift as well as to help detect subtle nudges by feeding fish.

With my old eyes I swear by the advantages of strike indicators and especially "Thingamabobbers" as they seem to transfer even the most subtle and almost imperceptable touches on the fly - most often a rock or the bottom - but at least my old eyes can see it and can react accordingly.

I think every one of us should find what works the best and go with it. I've been doing this for a lot of years and this is where I'm now at. I won't begrudge someone else their way to enjoy this great sport.

As long as we all can agree to disagree on certain points yet show respect to each other and everybody get along, our chosen pasttime should survive - it's when we start thinking that "my way" is the only acceptable option that we go backwards instead of in the right direction together.

Just my two cents. hope it helps.

Kelly

Absolutely

Default Strike indicators

You don't fly fish for Trout with a bobber.

Somehow somebody managed to convert the term we called it, "cheater", to "strike indicator". The image of this thing floating along on the surface of a trout stream colored so you can see it from outerspace cranks me.

So does flip flopping a thousand dollar outfit with 2 ft. of a $100 fly line out the end of the tip and somehow justifying this as fly fishing. And your proud of the fact you are fishing far and fine with your 3 or 4 wt? I can't get my hackles around the concept.
    "As far down the river as he could see, the trout were rising, making circles on the surface of the water, as though it were starting to rain."- E.H., The Big Two Hearted River

Quote Originally Posted by hairwing View Post
    You don't fly fish for Trout with a bobber.

Somehow somebody managed to convert the term we called it, "cheater", to "strike indicator". The image of this thing floating along on the surface of a trout stream colored so you can see it from outerspace cranks me.

So does flip flopping a thousand dollar outfit with 2 ft. of a $100 fly line out the end of the tip and somehow justifying this as fly fishing. And your proud of the fact you are fishing far and fine with your 3 or 4 wt? I can't get my hackles around the concept.

What can I say, I never received that rule book, and never did support the Holier than thou thing.

Don't consider me elitist or Waltonian. I am nowhere near holier then thou.

I am hard core.
    "As far down the river as he could see, the trout were rising, making circles on the surface of the water, as though it were starting to rain."- E.H., The Big Two Hearted River

I am hard core.
    Apparently what I wrote earlier had no bearing, but based on what I read I can't say I'm not surprised.
    "Hard Core" or not, we're all entitled to our way of doing things and I'm glad you're where you are as I'll not have to meet you on the river. The rest of us will continue to have a great time sharing the experience and not getting caught up in - your words - (even if you denied it) a "holier than thou" attitude.

Good luck...
    Tight Lines,

Kelly.

"There will be days when the fishing is better than one's most optimistic forecast, others when it is far worse. Either is a gain over just staying home."

Roderick Haig-Brown, "Fisherman's Spring"

I am hard core.

Thus the name...it's all good! Dries are the dream come true, but not always available.
    I do think quite often of attaching a hook to my indicator to see if that makes it more respectable...LOL You know, the BIG OLD floating egg fly

+ Reply to Thread