+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Public Fishing Rights in NY State

Default Public Fishing Rights in NY State

The right to fish along some parts of streams in New York State has been bought and paid for. These stretches are marked by yellow signs.

Funds for more "public fishing rights" (PFR's) are available at this time, at least in Region 8. When you are seeking permission to fish along a particular stretch, think of how nice it would be to fish without having to ask permission.

PFRs give fishers the right to fish along the marked stretch within a certain distance of the water...I believe about two rods (33ft) but this varies. The land itself may be posted or not and the PFRs do not allow one to cross posted land! There are designated access spots sometimes with parking lots and a path to the stream.

Payment for the rights can be considerable and there is extra paid for access.

In some cases, PFRs are only for one side of the stream while others are for both sides.
    The land is still owned by the person who sold the rights and the owner still has use of the land and can still post it.

When the landowner is paid for these rights, its forever...and the fact that the land is sold to a new owner does not change things. The PFRs go on in perpetuity.

All in all I think that its a good program and those who handle the legalities also have other duties so progress is slow.

I have been a volunteer in the program at the grass roots level for some time.
    The main problem I have in my initial contacts with landowners is prior bad will. Some of us are not too good at diplomacy and feel that they already have all the rights they need to fish, litter, use loud and foul language etc anywhere along the stream.
    PLEASE... when you are fishing on someone's property, treat the owners and their property with the utmost respect. A very few of us have not learned that yet!

Ol' Bill

Hey, Bill!

Do you guys have a website that outlines what it is you are doing and how you are accomplishing it? They are paying farmers for 'rights' to let us hunt here in NE, but possibly adding fishing is something they might not have thought of. I will have to suggest it and see where it goes.

Thanks for the awesome idea and post!

Don
    Don Rolfson

Our TU Chapter whose waters are primarily in Dutchess County, NY (Region 3), has had a on-going effort aimed at acquiring PFR's. We've been able to accomplish this with a combination funds derived from an annual stewartship banquet combined with funds from the state as well as businesses. Thus far we've been able to aquire over 8 miles of PFR's. Each year we are able to add more. It isn't easy and it takes perserverence to make them happen but our results have shown that effort has been worth it. Under state law these PFR's will exist in perpetuity.

Drolfson,
    Nope, no website but I'll tell you what I know.

The NY State department of environmental conservation has had the program for some time. The intent is to secure a place to fish for now and for future generations. The agreements are in perpetuity.

The DEC decides what streams are good enough to be in the program and the one time payments are dependant upon the quality of the stream, length of the stretch etc. Since the agreement is forever, the amounts can be considerable.

I, as a volunteer, inform the landowner of the program and if he's iterested, I pass that information to the DEC. Its as simple as obtaining the landowners name and address, size of the stretch etc.

Chances are that the gentleman who handles the program is familiar with the area and calls for an appointment. He handles the legal matters and if all goes well we have some more PFR waters.

I get a great deal of satisfaction when driving past a part of the stream that I have helped to add to the public waters. Its better than fishing, and Its FOREVER!

Bill

nighthawk Guest

Snipe,
    Keep up the good work. I wish Pa. had a program like that. I would even be willing to pay an increased license fee for it.

------------------
    Eric "nighthawk"

American veteran and proud of it!

Ol' Bill see what you can do for region 9, the more PFR's the better. You must be a real diplomat in more ways than one. Keep up the great work.

Philip
    Bliss, NY

------------------
    If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles." - Doug Larson
    Excuse my spelling and grammar, I hooked Mondays and Fridays to either fish or hunt.

7. Default

Snipe ? Thank you for volunteering to help secure the PFRs. I utilize the PFRs in many NYS regions. What has really helped me are the maps of the PFRs found on the various DEC regional web pages.

Question ? how do the stream specific fishing regulations relate to the PFR? For example, some streams that have a PFR section may close in October, may stay open all year, may have C&R only or an artificial only section. Are these fishing regulation options discussed with landowner when trying to secure rights? Reason I ask is that my experience has found the C&R, artificial or fly-fishing only areas are ALWAYS much cleaner. I guess there is less litter because less pressure in these areas, or maybe it has to do with the behavior of the folks who access a C&R or fly only area verses others? Would seem worthwhile to explore such options when trying to secure land, especially with a reluctant property owner.

In addition, I would love to see some sections of the Erie tribs (with and without PFRs) become C&R and artificial only areas. Can you work on that for me?

------------------
    No one cares how much you know until they know how much you care

I've never been more frustrated trying to find a place/stream to fish in my life, Than I was up there....There is so little access to the waters...Just not for me..I'll stick to PA and the gracious ppl here who always welcome the sportsman....The Syracuse area just offered so little...CLOSE BY....Talking Miniutes....I worked and did'nt have alot of time...

------------------
    "I've often wondered why it is that so many anglers spend so much money on,and pay so much attention to.the details on the wrong end of the fly line.If they took as much care in selecting or tying their flies as they did in the selection of the reel and rod,They might be able to gain the real extra edge that makes it possible to fool a fish that has,in fact,seen it all before" A.K.Best

Everyone wants to excel in this sport but at the same time we let traditionalists place restrictions on our tactics, methods, and ideas. I always assumed that fly fishing was a sport that allowed imagination, creation, adaptation, investigation, dedication, education, revelation? : Fox Statler, On Spinners (Not the dainty Dry Fly kind) "Spinner'd Minner Fly"

"Wish ya great fishing"

Bill
    Wish ya great fishing,Bill

Yesterday I received a few brochures from the New York State DEC. Shown on the front is a picture of one of the yellow signs:

PUBLIC FISHING
    STREAM

Public fishing rights are restricted
    to the stream and banks
    designated by these signs
    Access at designated points.
    Activities other than fishing are unlawful
    avoid tresspass on other lands.
    rights provided under easements
    secured from landowners

RESPECT THEIR PROPERTY

N. Y. S. DEPARTMENT OF
    ENVIRONMENTAL CONSERVATION

The program has been going since 1935. During that time, nearly 1,200 miles of PFR easements have been purchased on over 350 streams across the state. The landowners participating are the key to its success. Our children and theirs will be able to enjoy fishing.

The above paragraph has been paraphrased from the brochure.

billknepp
    I lived in Syracuse for 12 years. There were trout streams all over the place. True, they probably didn't all run within a half mile of Salina street.

There were Nine mile and Skaneateles Outlet to the west, Limestone and Butternut to the east. The headwaters of Onondaga to the south. One that was a sewer when I lived there, Ley Creek is in the process of being cleaned up. I have been told that it was once a good Brook Trout stream but nobody is old enough to remember.

When I was visiting Syracusea few years back, I saw a tiny brook, not much more than a ditch that was loaded with water cress and had the appearance of trout water. This was in the middle of an urban area mid summer.

Within a half hour you have the Salmon River and a whole bunch of streams, too numerous to list before you get there. When I lived there no one asked permission, maybe thats changed. There are places in Pa where you'd better ask! Instead of the state purchasing rights clubs and people from New Jersey are buying them up and they "got guns".

Perhaps you want to feel as though you are exploring new land and checking out some rough country. Been there, done that too! Take a compass in case it clouds over. I, like Ponce De Leon never found what I was looking for but found some Brookie streams with 6 inch brookies...little else to remember other than the black flies.

Ol' Bill

+ Reply to Thread