+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Budget Fly Line

Quote Originally Posted by harleybob87 View Post
    I use the aquanova lines alot and have never had a problem with them just changed out the one I bought in 2002. I must say I use them for still water fishing the most as that is what I do. I have used the first and seconds. I even use them on my steelhead rods. Some have problems with them I never have. for under $10 (seconds) and under $15.00 (firsts) I will use them. I have not used the H& H lines but if Ron sticks behind them like he does everything else they are great

WOW! seven years? How often do you fish? I change even my high end out after five years and check constantly for cracks or what not.
    Maybe I am too picky.

Good question Fly goddess. I fish from March through september at lease 1 day a week for at least 6 hours. I use prmarly sinking line and clean it once or twice a year depending on the rod I am using. Changed this last line out that I spoke of because the tip to about 20 ft down had cracks. It was due and then some. I expect to get at least 5 years out of a line. That being said I don't buy high end lines because I can't afford them LOL. Do I wish I could yes the sharkskin has really caught my eye. Hope you can make it to the idaho fishin. Would be a pleasure to meet you.

Me too HARLEY! That would be a blast, I feel I know most of you anyway, but a face would be nice.

You said you fish STILLWATER, where there I relate totally, and to be honest I picked up a TYPE IV at Wally World that wasn't too bad, but again that was sinking. If I use a floating on a lake it is because there is a rise or to plop a mouse out there. In that case I want a no memory line that shoots with ease and floats like a cork, but I also use floating for DEEP NYMPHING, where the quality of the line ISN'T a big issue.
    My hat is off to you, you make it work!

I fish Hook and Hackle lines on my bamboo, glass & graphite...love them. They're made by Cortland. I've heard that the taper is somewhere between the Sylk and 444 Classic. I really see no reason to go with anything else for a foating line with the type of fishing I do.

~Randy
    "Some people fish their entire lives without realizing it's not the fish they're after."

Smile H & H Lines (grab 'em)

In my humble opinion you can't go wrong with H & H lines. I fish them all the time and I fish about 75 days a year in hot sun and in below freezing temps on streams and rivers. I haven't had one fail. I fish nymphs 90% of the time and they take a pretty good beating. They are durable, too. I'm not one of those people that changes fly lines at the first sign of a nick and I get a good solid 4 or 5 years of them

That is great to hear! I think I will pass this info on.
    I guess I like the different qualities of the lines I use (Windcutter II, Selective Trout, Ridgeline, Superfine, And Sharkskin) I do have a few that are hyped up that I just don't care for.
    I guess it all depends on how technical you want to get.

Ol' Blue, I use the Dorber lines quite a bit. They are supple and cast well. The biggest difference I find between them and the higher priced lines is their lifespan. They usually don't last as long for me as a higher priced line will.

PS; Folks on this board will see me defending or recommending Dorber products quite often. The reason is that I live only 30 miles from the headquarters of Dorber and am quite familiar with their products and service. I am not affiliated with Dorber in any way other than being a satisfied customer.

Quote Originally Posted by harleybob87 View Post
    I use the aquanova lines alot and have never had a problem with them just changed out the one I bought in 2002.
    This weekend I dug out an old reel that I'm planning on putting to use this season (an Airex Ablette) .
    On it is a Northern Sport (Aquanova) line that I bought in 1981.
    It's flithy and I probably haven't used it in over 10 years.....but there's not a crack it
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements.
    --- Horace Kephart

I'm quite impressed with the Hook & Hackle fly line. I've had some on my reels for three or four seasons now. I'm still happy with them and would buy more.
    "There's more B.S. in fly fishing than there is in a Kansas feedlot." Lefty Kreh

"Catch and Release,...like Corrections Canada" ~ Rick Mercer

+ Reply to Thread